1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

400RB min impeadeance??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plastica, Aug 7, 2004.

1. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    ok I have an OLD 400rb (says 4-87 under the ser#) I know it is rated 200 watts @4ohm. but i have had other amps rated at 4 and then they say in the manual that they are safe down to 2ohms. I did not get a manual with it, and the new ones are obviously not the same as the power has been upped from what i have read. so downloading a manual would not answer my question.. I would like to plug my 8 ohm single 18 in parrelel with my 4 ohm 2-15 cab as i am crankin this thing up at times and the 15s are getting tired so i nead to either add the 18 on this amp or bi amp

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I just used my '87 400RB on a gig last night into a 4 ohm Euphonic Audio Wizzy 1x12 cab. The input volume, boost, and master were all above 1/2 way. I was playing in a small pub with drumset, percussion, 2 guitars, 3 horns, keys, and violin. I could feel/hear myself well but the amp was extremely hot to the touch. I've never had the amp overheat on me but I suspect that could happen if you cranked it up into a load lower than 4 ohms.

You might consider wiring the cabs in series--I think that would give you a 5.3 ohm impedance--low enough to get decent power, and you'd have the 18's extra surface area working for you. There's only so much volume you can expect from a 200 watt amp.

3. plastica

plastica

Dec 21, 2003
    watertown wi usa
    ok , i took an electronic corse covering series and paralell resistance (among many other things) . if memory served me 4 ohm and 8ohm in series is 12. even at an 8ohm load you are not making the full 200 wats (im told about 1/2) so at 12 ohm your getting like 75wats if my math is even close. that just will not do. i guess another option would be to run another 4ohm cab in series (8ohm), and parralel to the 18' . this would put me back at 4ohms. i guess another option here is to just disconect one of the 15s making that an 8 ohm cab also.
    I have noticed that the gk runs hot. but everyone i know that has one says its normal. when you make 200watts in a 17lb? amp its got to get warm. thats why it has that big heatsink. I am hoping one of the GK gurus has the book or knows for a fact if it was designed to handle 2 ohms. I know alot of companys try to make amps that would go that low just for the fact that so few people understand impediance (i understand it but not so sure i can spell it lol). alot of times people just keep pluging stuff in not knowing it matters.