Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

400rbIII - What cab/s to run it with

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lbeltrame, Jun 15, 2005.

1. lbeltrame

lbeltrame

Apr 26, 2005
    Befor i start let me say that i live in australia so don't mention avatar cabs cos :crying: i :crying: can't get :crying: them :crying: :crying: :crying:

Anyway, i've recently aquired a 400rb III and i need to decide upon a cab for it. Personally i'm thinking that because the GK puts out 240 @ 4ohms which is pretty small, i should go for a single 4 ohm 410. i'm thinking the nemesis NC 410 which is 320watts or maybe a fender 410 which is 300watts i think. Please let me know whether i can comfortably get away with a 2 cab setup, or wether it's worth doing even. i don't mind the "cornering myself in" approach of getting a 4 ohm cab if it gets the most out of the GK. Any suggestions?

Cheers guys
    Leigh

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I find the 400RB-III to speak best through 15's. A 4ohm 4x10 isn't a bad idea if you know you're cornering yourself going in.

3. How you going Leigh?

Good to see another Aussie on talkbass, we are working up quiet a population :hyper:

I currently run a GK 400RB III through an 8ohm Hartke 210XL, which sounds OK- but the Hartke does sound rather sterile (yes it's the cab, more on that), dependant on what setting the amp is on. It sounds alot better on Cabinets with paper cones- and that are tuned lower than the 210XL.

I have also used the GK to drive a 1x12" cabinet which sounded great, it let the amp speak it's ture voice really, able to go deaper, yet still clean and punchy as all hell ;) My Idea for this amp was to build a 112 and a 210 cabinet to run it at full power, and get all the highs and lows one could need. But I found a deal on a 800RB so I am going a 4ohm 212 homemade cabinet, which should sound super :hyper:

People have used Ampeg 4ohm 410"s with great success with these heads- the cab and amp apprently compleiment each other really well. Others like 15"s - Personally I'd go a 15" and a 2x10 of the same manufacture- yes it's more expencive, but it will be deep and punchy at the same time. The amp puts out more than a Kings Cross hooker, so the 240w @ 4ohm is quiet a big 240w- I'd probably rate it pretty damn close to 300w in comparison to other amps. Very loud.

410 or 15+210 you choice both good ones in my opinion. Apparently the Ebony cabinets are awesome sounding and great value for Aussie buyers- I am yet to hear or see one yet though.

-Cul

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I've tried several cabs with my ol' 400RB, and the Eden 2x10 clearly sounded like a match made in heaven.

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Hi there,

I'm also from aus...

i have a 400rb III and i use lab systems cabs, 8ohm 210 and 8ohm 212. They are ok together but a bit underpowered and ok on there own too.

to tell you the truth i don't really like the amp much anymore so i'm probably not so much help but for my new rig i am planning on using a 4ohm quad.

goodluck!

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Try to find a 4 ohm SWR Goliath III 4x10. My GK 700RBs (mks. I and II) sound great through this cab, and it's very efficient -- way more so than Ampegs. I think you might even get more volume with an 8 ohm Goliath III than some 4 ohm Ampegs. That's been my experience.

7. I'm using a single 4ohm Ampeg SVT-410HLF with my GK 700RB-II and they sound great together. The Ampeg cab is pretty meaty and it compliments the GK head well.

8. I am using my 400rbIII with an Avatar 2x10 neo. It has a lot of punch and deep end on my 5/6 strings.

9. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    i'm using my 400RB with an Ampeg 4x12" cabinet.. and it sounds great.. it's a guitar cab, but the speakers are capable of dealing with the lows.. i plan to replace the 12's in it with neo-based 12's..

i'm pretty happy with it as it is.. it's enough to get the lows, but enough punch for clairty..

i'm thinking of getting another 400RB and running stereo through my Digitech 2101 Artist.. using two 4x12"s..

try it with a 4x12.. otherwise, a 2x10 and a single 15 would be enough..

10. lbeltrame

lbeltrame

Apr 26, 2005
    Thanks for the reply guys.
    I'm still at the point where i think the best option for me is to go with a single 4ohm 410. I've been looking at a genz benz 410 cab that is 400watts for about $1100 AUS. Anyone got one of these cabs? Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Leigh

11. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I played thru one just the other day. Very nice cab. :cool:

12. I also managed to play through one the other day at Billy Hydes, it was an all Genz Benz set up and i was really impressed by the sound i was getting.

13. lbeltrame

lbeltrame

Apr 26, 2005
    cool, cool

I've recently been totally swayed into thinking that a really fat 210 is the best option. The eden 210XLT ar Aquilar equivalent (i can spel goood!) come to mind as being good chioces. I say that a 210 is a good chioce because it seems to be a good mid point between wattage and Speaker area. The eden at 350watts seems a good match for the gk.

What do we all think?

Cheers
    Leigh