1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

400w amp with 350w cabinet? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Apr 3, 2006.

1. I have read many of the old threads on cabinet wattage, "overpowering" and "underpowering" and so on, and I have to admit that I am still confused on the issue. So here's a simple question: will a 400w (min 4ohms) amp work with a 350w continuous (8 ohm) cabinet?

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    It will work fine; have no fears.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No problem, unless you demand more than the amp can give. Clean power is less likely to blow speakers, but if it starts to distort, you can have problems.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Running that head into an 8 ohm cab won't produce full power, anyway. You should have nothing to worry about. Go ahead and crank it up!

5. Not to steal the thread here, but its related, so I hope you don't mind too much. What if you were to run 2 cabs, each 350w at 8ohms, into a 400w head at 4ohms? Wouldn't the combination of the two 8ohms cabs equal 4ohms? And then would you have a power problem with the wattage?

6. That would be perfectly acceptable, especially since you're essentially getting the most output that the amp has to offer at that 4ohm load, into a combined 700w cab structure.
    Alot of folks tend to walk on eggshells with their rigs because of wattage differences, but it's not an issue in 90% of the cases. You can run a 1000w amp into a 200w cab; as long as the speakers aren't distorting you aren't going to see damage, as this is related to volume moreso than it is to potential power output. In fact, that cab will be giving you all it's got, as long as you aren't cranking it into distortion. The cab won't be a great match for the amp because you aren't going to see the amps full potential.
    You can run a 300w amp into a 1000w cab. It will still be loud, but it wont give you the same kind of performance you would see if you matched it up with a more powerful head.
    C7

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes.

Probably not. Again, as long as you don't push the amp to clipping there are no problems. Some cabs, such as Acme, are power hungry. Others aren't.

So listen carefully to the cab(s). If there is farting or other strange noises turn down. If the sound is good, you don't have to worry.

8. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Well spoken, Cresent Steven! your point couldn't have been more correctly expressed, or accurate, if "Albert Einstein" said it himself. BRAVO!!!:bassist: