1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

400wt amp powering a 300wt cab... asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sadworld, Mar 30, 2009.

1. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    ok, i have a new traynor db400 combo with 15" speaker... i'm gonna keep it but when i play bigger shows i need an additional cab. i own 3 options and i'm gonna pick one and sell the other 2... my options are eden 410xst (1000watts) eden d115 single15"(400watts) any my old trusty hartke 410 transporter 300watts.... transporters have not had a lot of kind words said about them but i've never had a problem with mine and it's given me many years of reliable service. i just had them fired up and can't tell that big a difference between any of the cabs sonically.... the 410's seem to be a little louder. if i decided to keep my old hartke would i be asking for trouble since the power handling is less than what the amp puts out? with that cab hooked up the amp puts out 400watts and the tp handles just 300watts @ 8ohms so it says. thanks. matt.

2. let me know when you sell the Edens. I would keep them myself but it sounds like you need someone to talk you out of keeping the Hartke. IMO go ahead and keep the Hartke and sell me the Edens - those are soooo bad@##

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Only if you don't have a volume control. :D

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    (I'd be keeping the Eden cab, of the 3)

5. sadworld

sadworld

Feb 2, 2009
    michigan
    thanks guys... i'm leaning towards keeping the d115 for use when i need a BIGGER rig.... keep your eyes posted to the classifieds!

6. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    good choice keeping the 15
    i think same size speaker works better when using more than one cab

also I want to say that the 400 watt is shared between the combo cab and the ext cab

your db400 is very similar (I think near identical) to my xs400
    the combo by itself is running 260watt@8ohm
    add the ext 8ohm cab it puts out 400watt@4ohm
    you should not go below 4ohm on your combo
    so any ext cab you choose need to be 8ohm or higher