Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 + 210 or 410 + 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I know there's other threads like this one, but I have some specific conflicts I need some advice on if anybody has any, so here's the deal: right now I have a Peavey Max 700 (475W at 4 ohms, 700W at 2 ohms) and a Peavey 410TVX (350W RMS, 700W program, and it's 4 ohms). I LOVE this cabinet, all but the fact that it's 97 pounds. Right now, it's juuust about all I need, but I'd like just a little more headroom (mostly just for my comfort, it's fine now really), which I believe an additional cabinet would provide.

the 115 (400W RMS, 800W program) seems like the obvious choice, what with the low end it'll give, and also it's only $300. However, it is only about 6 pounds lighter than the 410TVX. The 210 is $360, but it's about 60 pounds. I could actually lift that. by myself. which I'd really like to be able to do. my only problem is that it's 175W RMS and 350W program. so if I use it with my 410, the 210 be getting 350 watts. same as its program rating. Then again, as it is now with just the 410, my DDT light barely comes on at all, and it should even less with an additional cab, so I'm really not pushing it that hard or clipping it... what do you guys think? Given my conflicts, should I go with the 210 or the 115?

2. mostly everybody is going to say the 1x15 but i think you would be best of with the 2x10, think about it, you dont just do the same size gigs every night right? so if you have diffenrent size gigs (small, large, medium, inside, outside,) you could use ther 2x10 alone for practices and small coffe house gigs, you can use just the 4x10 for bars and other medium size gigs and when you get that really huge big outdoor gig you can toss the 2x10 on top of the 4x10 and you will have a bvery very very loud beast! with the 1x15 you will have two of the same size and weight of cabs which will suck! really suck, plus it will take up ALOT more space than the the 4x10 and the 2x10 would.

3. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    i dunno if the 210 alone would be a good idea though. that'd be 475W into a 300W program cab. sketchy?

but yeah, that's basically what im thinking. The weight is a big issue, I'd really like to have a cab I can move by myself. *is small*

4. o yea! sorry didnt think about that.

5. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl

Using the 2x10" alone would be a small gig, I doubt you would need to put all 475w into it...

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Id go with peaveys 412 man that thing is friggen crazy yea it weighs 130 pounds but put some casters on it and roll it around all over the place you could put your 410 on top of it and move some serious air. That would be a killer rig i've thought about getting 2 412 tvx cabs the right amount of lows mixed with just the right amount of highs. But thats me :bassist:

7. Ive heard some crazy sick stuff about throwing a Black Widow 15" under that 4x10.. They are really designed to go together.

But given your situation, go the 2x10..

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    A 2x10 for portability is very smart.... but I dont like that power matchup too much. You could probably get by with it though. Just dont use it by itself and I think you'll be set. Forget the 15... because it seems like your after the power, not the lowend tone.

9. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    yeah, I'm not really in need of any more low end. Couldn't hurt, but my 410s are putting out way more than I was expecting anyways. Do you guys think 350W in a 350W program cab is okay? Or is that too risky?

10. it should be ok, beacuse those pv speakers are somethin else man those thing kick ass! tehy are so loud and seem like they could handle alot of power, they are also really really deep with is great for tens but yea i think tehy could handle it just dont use the 2x10 by itself!

11. You've got some other options here. You could buy another brand of cab, or even keep Peavey but get their Pro210, which handles considerably more power than the 210TVX. You could also go for a 1x18 underneath, which a lot of people do with 4x10s. They use up a lot of power and can really add depth to your playing - not all 18"s are slow enclosures, you can still get punch out of a decent driver.

What I'd do in your position is sell the 410TVX and buy two 2x10s from someone like Avatar. That's the way I'm going to go, I think. I have a Peavey 210 and 115 and the 115 is just too heavy for me, I'm going to replace it with a 210 and get me a better (250x2) power section.

12. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Peavey told me 350 watts in the 210tvx is probably not a good idea *sigh*

I have just one more idea. But it leads me to another question. Is there any reason not to mix impedances on cabs, as long the amp can still handle it? What if I got an 8 ohm 210tvx, so the amp wouldnt put out all 700 watts? I dunno that plan sounds sketchy. Anyone?