1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

410 and 115 stack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by canadian*eh, Apr 20, 2006.

1. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    question for all of you out there.I have a gk 1001rb head which i am running through a swr goliath jr III 210 and a swr sob 115.now i am looking at get a 410 cab and getting rid of my 210 so that if i just want to use one cab i can take the 410 and leave the 115 at home.(just a lil nicer to split up)now what i was wondering is if i get a head that can go down to 2.6 ohms (not the 1001rb)like say the swr 750x would i be better off getting a 4ohm 410 vers a 8 ohm 410.cause if i leave the 115 at home i would still like the head room and claity of a 4ohm setup.So in other words i would be running a 4ohm 410 and a 8 ohm 115.....would you recommend that or shold i use a 8 ohm 410 and a 8 ohm 115....Hope you all out there can help.Thankx :help:

2. the impedance of the cabs doesnt matter too much as long as your staying in your boundaries of the amp

If you like your GK amp why not just get an 8ohm 410 then you've got a 4 ohm load over all when using them both and your fine

+ that amp would be louder (well, higher wattage i think) than the 750x running at 2.67 ohms

3. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    the gk amp i got is the older 1001rb...so 540watts at 4 ohms.And the swr 750x is 850 at 2.6 ohms.So i guess what i am trying to say is.....is 540 watts enough head room for a 410 115 stack...seeing that the 410 it only getting 270 watts at 4 ohms and sam with the 115.i donno ...i would just like to know if people like a 4 ohm 410 better then a 8 ohm one....cuase if i was able to run a 410 115 setup with a 750x head i would still be getting 750 watt at 4 ohms in to me 410 rather then only 340 at 8 ohms....hope you all will be able to help me with my question.thankx

4. the difference between 540 and 850 watts into those two cabs is hardly going to be noticable (doubling the wattage = ~3dB increase, which is just noticable)

Adding the other cab will give you more volume, and seeing its going to be 540 watts instead of what it is using one cab, then you will get about 6dB more, which will be pretty noticable (if both the cabs are the same sensitivity etc etc)

What i would say is keep the GK, dont change the amp because of not having enough power, because adding another 310 watts may sound like alot, but it wont actually do too much other than a little bit of head room

If you were nearly loud enough as is, adding another cab and the extra power will give you more than enough, aslong as you still like the GK sound of course

Also, the sonic difference between a 4 and 8 ohm cab is negligable, seriously, i would say there is no difference, but someone will probably complain if i do, one thing tho, if they are both 8ohms then they share the power, if they are 4 and 8ohm then its 1/3rd of the power to the 8ohm cab and 2/3rd's to the 4x10, as you've already stated, but personally that would annoy me if one cab was overpowering the other one a bit :p

Best bet IMO is to get the 8ohm 4x10, then, if it isnt working out for you get the SWR head, and that way you will also have two cabs that are recieving the same amount of power and will compliment each other more, and the difference in power between 750 watts and 850 watts between a 4x10 and a 1x15 is going to be unnoticable!

- Will

5. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Ok. Im pretty sure if you wanna run the 115 and the 410 you have to match your ohms. Myne didnt like it when I mhad a 4 and an 8 ohm cab runnin. (Just luck?) And I also heard 410 arent as rugged. Not sure if its true but I heard theyre easier to blow compared to an eight.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I believe you're mistaken - as long as the head is capable of pushing a 2.67 ohm load, there won't be any problems running a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cab... I ran a 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs together(overall load of 2.67 ohms) for about 10 years without any troubles, FWIW... It is possible that a 410 cab *might* not handle as much power as an 810 - but it depends on the individual cabs themselves, and is not a hard, fast rule...

- georgestrings

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Although I can't disagree with some of the advice given by IGAM, in your situation, *if* I was using a 2 ohm capable amp, I'd probably go with a 4 ohm 410 and an 8 ohm 115 because:

The 4 ohm 410 will put out more by itself - or allow the amp to put out more power, depending on how you want to look at it - than it's 8 ohm counterpart, and will also do so when coupled with an 8 ohm 115...

- georgestrings

8. My reasoning is stick with his current amp and get an 8ohm cab, then if need be change amp, the difference of 100 watts will not be noticable, and i personally prefer to have cabs pumping roughly the same amount of power

As you've saif you've run it the other way which is running more power to one of the cabs than the other, which is cool, but maybe not for everyone

All about opinions, good advice from the other side of the argument george :)

9. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    A 410 will in general be more efficient than a 115, and if its getting 3db more power anyway, surely youll end up with a 4ohm 410 on top of a glorified 115 stand?

410 will be louder anyway, be getting more power, have more upper mids and be closer to ear level.

These are all genralisations of course, but I persoanlly dont see the point. Again, if itwere me Id get the 8ohm 410, but youre not me, and George would disagree (he knows what hes talking about too). :D

10. You are kinda true, thats why i run a 4x10 ontop of a 2x15 at 2 ohms :p

But the 1x15 will have a much better projected sound usually, ie it will sound better to the folk in the audience

-Will

11. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Hey Guy's i want to thank you soooo much for all you ideas.....It has made me see that i am just as good with a 8 ohm 410....which if i do deside to go that way will save me a lot of money.....which is a good thing ......seeeing as though my wife might kinda kill me if i go out and get ride of my gk just after i got it and spend a whole ton more money on a nother one....lolol...:p.....well all i have to do it get the money and i will be set.thankx for all your help....all ways good to hear what other's have to say.Cheer's.!!!

12. Good call, always keep the wife happy, or hide reciepts, they often cant tell the difference between gear :p

13. "Does this cab look different to you?" says the wife

"Umm... it got a hair cut?" says the husband

"What?"

"I mean... I got a new nameplate for it, it looks awesome!"

14. Im betting that would work :p