1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 and 15 all in one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pullman?, Sep 27, 2010.

1. I know that Hiwatt and Mesa Boogie make a 410 plus 15 cab, but are there any other companies that do so?

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Ampeg did many years ago, you may be able to find one on Ebay or Craigslist...

3. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Emperor

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quite a few do and it's always a waste of time.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    disagree

6. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've played a bunch of them and the comparable 8x10, 6x10 or 4x12 has always sounded better to me. Mesa is the big guy here, their 6x10 DESTROYS the PH1000/1200.

7. I will respect that you call it a waste of time, but I would also like to know why you think that is so.

8. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    the Ampeg Model Is a 1540HE By far the Best cab I owned. Better Than an Ampeg 810 or the 2x15.

Emperor will make one as well.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The 15" driver and the four 10s are a mismatch from the word go. The 10s just about always overpower the 15, while the 15 serves only to limit the amount of power you can use to drive the cab.

MM

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because the 1x15 combined with most 4x10s is generally at least 3db and generally more like 6db less sensitive (especially in the mids) than the 4x10s, and capable of handling half the power. In exchange for that sacrifice, you get absolutely nothing. There is a small potential for extended bottom, but it's almost never noticeable since by the time you get it you're driving the 15 into distortion.

If you use really crappy 10" woofers and a really nice 15" woofer it can work out OK, but in most cases you'd be better using another nice 15" woofer instead of a bunch of crappy 10s.

If you're using really nice 10s, there is no 15 that can keep up except the 3015LF, which requires some serious design to make work (a big box and a low pass filter would be ideal).

However, that's all academic as what you can expect is 4 eminence beta 10's and a beta 15 in an undersized box.

11. So basically it will be quieter and less sensitive?

12. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I've got the 1540 and the 810e and I'd have to disagree-
    The 810 sounds better & louder to my ears,
    The 1540 is ported and only runs at 8 ohms full range.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Yep.

But hey, it "looks" cool.

14. I'm also thinking along terms of portability, they look as though they take up the same footprint as a 610, but lighter. I'm trying to approach this from a very... young point of view I guess. Could a good sounding Wall of Sound be achieved with two of them or would my money be better spent on, say, an 810 or 610 pared with a 215?

15. I'm going to disagree too.

I owned a 1540HE, and it was by far the worst cabinet I ever owned. I could not sell it off fast enough.

16. As do I - with you! RP is correct.

17. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    In your humble opinion.... ;)

18. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Personally, I've become a believer in the 2x15 club.

19. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL

I would run my my cab at 4 ohms with no problem. did that for 3 years.
    the Better Part is Completely Subjective. Louder maybe. but How loud are you really playing. I Like Lower wattage cabs so I get full use of the cab.