1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

410 Bass Module (probably Hartke?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cable Bill, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cable Bill

Cable Bill

May 16, 2018
    so I have recently been gifted this bass cabinet. Apparently it has had 4 new 10” drivers installed, but hasn’t been played yet (over 25 years old). Does anyone have any idea as to its impedance, and what is output (watts) might be? Can it be used as an extension cabinet? Should I break it in gently or will it be good to go? Just looking for a little old gear guidance, please?thanx, Cable Bill

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You can measure the impedance with a multimeter.

The rest is a complete crapshoot since you don't know what type of cab it is, or what drivers are in it. You can take the speakers out and see if there is any information written on them to give you some idea.

3. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Pictures of the cabinet and the back of the speakers will help greatly.

4. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    If you check the cab's impedance with a multimeter the readings will usually be lower than expected. IOW a supposed 4 ohm cab will probably read somewhere around 3.4 or so on the meter and an 8 ohm cab will read around 5.7 more or less (I think I'm in the ballpark with those numbers but they will be lower than 4 or 8 ohms).

Yes you can use it as an extension cab as long as the two cabs provide the minimum impedance that your amp requires.

As for break in, the first time you try the cab turn your bass and amp down and bring the volume up gradually to make sure there's no strange noises coming from the cab. After that let it eat. The best break in comes from playing thru the cab. Not all speakers show any difference after a break in.

5. Cable Bill

Cable Bill

May 16, 2018
    Thanx to all who took the time time to reply...I had some trepidation about removing speaker but have been encouraged to do so without fear. I appreciate your help. Cheers, Bill

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    A picture will help to identify, as mentioned above ...

There were a few generations of the Hartke 410 (excluding Transporter Series), the earliest Guild, but more than likely yours is one of the later (which I will try to put pictures of) ... the earlier says Hartke Systems on the top of the grill, this one is rated at 240 watts, and is an 8 ohm cab ... the current 410XL simply says Hartke on the top of the grill, and is rated at 400 watts, also an 8 ohm cab ... I spoke with Larry Hartke, and asked if there was any change made to the drivers when the packaging was changed, he replied there was not ... so in essence, same drivers, just a change in rating ... both of these had the aluminum cone drivers ...

There was also the Hartke 4.5, which is a bottom ported cab with a tweet in the center of the cab (the two previously mentioned each have two round ports mid cab, no tweeter) ... and as I eluded to, there was the Transporter series cabs, the 410 for that had the Transporter label on the front, and one center port in the middle of the cab if I remember correctly ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018