1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 Cab paired with 118 Cab? Any good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, Dec 25, 2016.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hello! I see a lot of people asking about mixing a 410 with a 115, and getting a lot of bad answers saying about phase issues and a 410 being able to push more air than a 115 whilst also being more defined.

That being said, what about pairing a 410 with a 118? One of my favourite players (Mike Inez) on stage uses multiple Ampeg 810's paired with 18inch cabs. Obviously this is on a big rock stadium with a professional sound guy, but is there any merit to it?

Because an 18inch is larger than a 15, would the tonal difference against a 410 be large enough to work in a combined way, or will it sort of be mushy like a 115 with a 410? My idea was that the 18inch would provide a super beefy and thick subby lower end, with nice definition on top fro the 410.

What are your thoughts?

2. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can't tell frequency response or maximum output from the speaker size. It's common for a 410 and 118 to be relatively equal in those respects, so a 2x410 or 810 would work just as well.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Standard answer - matched cabs is safest bet.

4. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I think the answer is: it depends. When I was gigging with an Ampeg 410 HE I was pleased with my sound until I stacked it on top of a Mesa 18. I suddenly had far more grunt down low. They worked quite well together. When I switched to touring with Eden's D-410XLT I had that depth and punch in one cab.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    A 410hlf has much more low end. You won't need the 18. Just my opinion.

Lobster11, reggie hall and Bassdirty like this.
  6. All of those responses hold to the 410 + 118 paring as well.

And he is di/mic'ed and you never hear that stage rig in the crowd.

It would depend on the specific 118 and 115 you are talking about. There is nothing about the diameter of a speaker that tells you it will have more sub content than another speaker of different diameter. I would still expect a 410 to have more low end than many 118 bass cabs out there. Your logic on this topic is flawed.

I recommend you find an 8 ohm cab you like the sound of, on its own. Then get two of them.

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    What is you goal? More SPL than your 410 alone, or different sound than your 410?

Answering that question first can save you time, money, and a lot of frustration.

8. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I used to run a SWR goliath and big ben.
    Perfect recipie for uber scooped sound.
    When biamped with the Trace Elliott ah600 I could coax some definition out of it. Man that sucka was loud!!
    Shop and find well matched cabs that deliver the tone you're looking for.
    Best results are often achieved by finding a cab model, that gives you the tone you seek, and buying another one just like it.

Listen with your ears, not your eyes.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    scheil442 likes this.
  9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I don't know about phase issues, but I have found difficulties in EQ'ing mixed cabs in the past, due to their different voicing.

Gearhead17 likes this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A properly-fed 4 X 10 (...or pair) will walk the dog over-and-above anything the 18" can offer. Don't waste your resources...including transportation space which can be better re-assigned to something useful!

Riis

11. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    As long as you bi-amp the stack you'll be OK but very 90s.....

Johnny Crab, Lobster11, NOVAX and 2 others like this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

I currently run a 112 + 115 that WERE DESIGNED TO WORK TOGETHER.
    The 115 goes lower than the 112 but have very close spl, mechanical,thermal, and RMS ratings.

They are louder ultimately than my ginormous late 80s TE / SWR rig. That big ben cab beamed like crazy.
    As I was only using it as a sub , crossed over at 350 and letting the 410 carry the rest, that big ben had eye blurring power on low notes.
    Ill defined and flabby .. :( but the car alarms in the parking lot got set off.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  13. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    My drummer has a couple of Peavey 3620's that we use pretty often, but they have a crossover built in and we use them with a crossed over head to just send highs to the 10's.

14. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Back in the day I had a Carvin Pro Bass 500 stack (w/4x10 over a 1x18). Each cab on it's own sounded good, but together I never cared for it. I ended up choosing the 4x10 & using the 18 as a stand. I'm a weekend warrior so my stages worked better w/4x10. Every 18 equipped cab I had just never worked for me. YMMV.

15. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    John Paul Jones did in the 90's

Attached Files:

16. Hand slap

Hand slap

Feb 14, 2016
    Imho 18 are slow, and way too wooooooofy, but that's just me.

17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    if the cabinets were bi amped, which is another word for using a head with built in active crossovers

or a passive crossover was used.

as far as getting more volume/spl , getting "better bass" from the 18 and more highs from the 10s....no.

as stated the bass standard for years is the 2x15 or a 4x10.
    And when looking for less fart, more bass or more volume. add another matching 4x10 or 2x15.

any extreme rock/ metal / alternative band blah blah looking for high spl will do fine with the industry standard 8x10 or matching 4x15.

18. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

FWIW, I did this with an SWR 410 & 118 years ago, using an SWR SM400 amp. The results were subpar at best. Maybe it was the amp, maybe not, but I never got what I considered a great sound out of it. I think I would have been better off with 2 410s.

19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I've had a 118 about 10 years ago. All I remember is its lack of dynamic and low end. However my SWR goliath III are damn more powerful, dynamic and damn low. I personally match cabs. There is a comon rumor that says the bigger the speaker is the lower it goes. That ******** is around and will be around for long again. It's everything but true.

20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I like to pair a 1x18 with a 2x10

bass-amp.

alaskaleftybass likes this.