Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 cab portability related ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 2, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm saving up for a SWR Workingman's RIG5 package (4004 head,410T package).It's going to be my first cab/head. It costs $1000,I'm getting a deal where I only have to pay $945-out the door to a local store.I called Guitar Center and asked what they're deal is,they said $899.99 for the amp.And $8.25 dollars tax for every 100 dollars I spend so out the door-its 974.00 (Somewhere around there...).I've got 725 bucks.Now,you know my situation.The real questions are:

How much of a pain is hauling this cab going to be?

Is their any type of house-hold item that I can lift to sort of get a feel on what it's like?

How un-reliable are those "snap out handles"?

I workout occasionally.Will this make a serious dent in how strenious this is going to be?

When making cabs in general,Do they take concern of how the customer is going to get it through a doorway?

If I were to take two of the "snap-in" casters that come with the 410,and put them in the back,and I got a good grip on the whole cab,could I sort of pull a "Ampeg classic 810" and tilt it and wheel it?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    4x10's aren't the easiest things to lug around, but it's not as bad as it could be, especially for someone who is in reasonable shape. You could always attach casters, but I find they're no help when you're confronted with stairs. I shudder at the thought of carrying an 8x10 fridge up a flight of stairs. I'd rather carry 2 seperate 4x10's any day.

How much does this cab weigh? I almost bought a 4x10 that weighed as much as me. Thankfully I realised before I forked out my cash, and bought something lighter instead.

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    4x10 cabinets are kinda the mainstay in my neck of the woods for bar gigs. And they have been around for quite some time. Good luck with your new rig. :hyper:

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Because you have yet to make your purchase, I'll make a couple suggestions:
    First, I recommend going with two 8 ohm cabs as opposed to one 4 ohm. ...MUCH more versatile.
    Second, if your not going with the 'real' SWR(ie, the Professional Series), then look at the newer Peavey, Yorkville, and Avatar cabs, as they offer much more bang-for-buck than the Workingmans stuff.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    if your not going with the 'real' SWR(ie, the Professional Series), then look at the newer Peavey, Yorkville, and Avatar cabs, as they offer much more bang-for-buck than the Workingmans stuff.

+1

6. For situations where I can't use a handtruck, I've found that I have better control and balance when I carry my 410 upside-down, holding the factory handles, with the cones facing me.

To carry the SWR 410 through a standard 30" doorway, I have to turn myself and the cabinet sideways. With the lift handles extended and my hands holding onto them, there is not enough clearance to just walk straight through the doorway.

Oh, and be careful packing the cabinet up or down a flight of stairs for the first time. Make sure the stairs & landings are clear (nothing to trip over) just take your time and you will develop the balance and control.

Once you get used to it, stairs and doorways are a piece of cake.

Buy a hand truck for situations where you have to travel any significant distance with the cabinet. You will not regret having the hand truck, I never leave home without mine.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    For the same money, I'm not nearly as impressed with the SWR Workingman's series cabs as I am some other manufacturers. Just as mentioned above, Peavey and Avatar are much better sounding cabs for about the same or less money.

I'd highly recommend Avatar cabs, then buy the head of your choice.