410 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pthump, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    While I love Ashdown heads, my opinion on the cabs is that they aren't very good sounding. But you really need to try them yourself.
  3. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    how would you charecterize the sound? Can you recomend any cabs that are good for aggresive sound? Playing in a dancy rock band and really need to PUNCH and stand out.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Its got a bit of punch, but I found the cab to be a bit weak sounding. Maybe soume would call it hi-fi, but I'm not sure thats what it was even. It just did not please my ears.
  5. I agree in that I dont like the MAG cabinets, they fart out very easily and loose clarity as your drive them, which with a 400 watt head you will most likely be doing. Might I suggest looking for Avatar if your in the states or Peavey or Trace Elliot if you arent :)
  6. It's never bad to match head/cabinet brands. Give the SWR Goliath a try. I personally think they sound fantastic. That being said, the only experience I have with Ashdown cabs is my Electric Blue 15" combo, and I'm definately very pleased with it's tone as well. Ashdown sounds a bit less scooped than SWR, but not quite as gritty as Gallien-Krueger or Genz Benz.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1 on trace.

If you like quite an agressive sound then check out Hartke cabs too, 410tp, 410XL or 4.5XL would fit the bill quite nicely for you (the tp is only 300 watts though.) There is the pro series 4200 too. Hartke cabs aren't for everyone but if you take to them you'll find nothing better.
  8. peavey 4x10's are good

mine sounds good with both my firebass and SVT II