1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 cab tone between GK neo and ampeg HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rshafer, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    I'm getting back into bass and looking for a new cab to go with my GK mb2-500. I've been to GC and tried out a neo 410 and HLF. I did prefer the neo 410 a little bit over the HLF. I like the punch, fast attack, and clarity of the gk, but find a little lack of 'warmth' when using GK head plus Music Man bass. The HLF next to the neo had this 'sound of the paper cone' which did remind me of a classic sound, but not exactly what I am hearing in my head.

My last cab was a GK neo 212, which was cool, but not big enough sounding for me next to guitar half stacks and a bit of the same lack of warmth. Or maybe should say too much of a good thing of gk head, cab and MM bass.

Would something like the avatar, epifani PS or epifunky, maybe some 215, sit somewhere tonewise between gk and ampeg?

2. nonogz

nonogz

May 9, 2009
    I've used the Epifani ul410 with a gk head and it sounded fantastic....the response and attack were there, but it had a little more smoother sound than the neo....

I play a neo410, and with flatwounds on my P/J, it's a beautiful thing!

3. Rshafer

Rshafer

Dec 21, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try to locate epifani to try out.