Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 HLF v Avatar 2x12- Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ender_rpm, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Greetings all!!!
    I currently own the Ampeg 410HLF. It is a MONSTER cab, great sound, but heavier than yo' momma!!! I live on the second floor, and it is too much trouble loading in and out, to the point where I don't want to go on auditions b/c I would need to lug it about. It also tears up my back seat, as it will not fit in the trunk of my little car.

Avatar is currently having a big sale on thier 2x12 cabs, which are a lot lighter and smaller than my HLF. If anyone has first hand knowledge with both cabs, I would appreciate input regarding the differences in sound and portability. The last problem is I only have space for one cab right now, or else I would buy a 112 and be done. I need to make room for my GFs stuff :p

(I am not really looking at any other manufacturors right now, so please, no plugs for EA or other stuff I can't afford!! :crying: ) Thanks!!!

2. rikshaw

rikshaw

Mar 15, 2002
    i own both cabs.
    i gig with the ampeg because of its sound. i bought the avatar because of the price and weight but it just doesnt sound as good as the ampeg. i use the avatar as my practice/audition amp due to it being light weight.

3. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Just wanted to say thanks. I think I will keep my Ampeg, and get a 112 for auditions, etc. I just sold a couple of my guitar cabs and amps (to pay for my new Sterling!!), so maybe I have enough room.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I have owned both of these cabs. They are entirely different sounding beasts--ANY 410 versus ANY 212 will sound different.

The main difference you'll hear is an absence of punch when playing aggressive fingerstyle. That pop you get with the HLF won't be there in a 212. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think you'll find a better cab for $300 today.

But in the end I didn't have much use for a pretty good $300 cab when I could have a great one for $500 or so.

Just my 0.02.

P.S. and yes, I agree, the 410HLF is absurdly heavy. 122 pounds for a 500 watt 410...just.ain't.right.