1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 Neo Cab Comparison ~ Avatar Vs Carvin Vs Gallien-Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 27, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm trying to come up with a pros and cons list on these three cabs (4 ohm versions) and would appreciate input from others. :bassist:

$589 + 55 shipping
    1000 watts
    65 lbs
    Frequency response: Not listed
    no casters
    not returnable.... limited one year warranty

Carvin BRX10.4 Neo
    $569 + 55 shipping
    1200 watts
    76 lbs
    Reproduces Frequencies from low B (26 Hz to 22k Hz)
    caster sockets included
    10 day money back guarantee/ full 1 year warranty

Gallien-Krueger 410 Neo
    $599.00 + no shipping required
    800 Watts
    68 lbs
    Frequency response: 30 Hz to 19kHz
    removable casters
    45 day return policy (if I buy online... free ship)/1 year warranty

2. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    After putting together what I'm showing in the thread above, Avatar is not looking too good.

3. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

Dec 30, 2010
    Vancouver, B.C.
  4. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    I have the BRX 10.4. Great cab for a great price. id say that freq response is pretty accurate as well as the power handling. Iv pushed a lot of power through it with no problems for the last.....well since 2007 or something. The spray on coating is finally starting to wear down on the corners.

5. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
  6. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's going to come down to the GK and the Carvin... I wish I had looked at Carvin before I bought my head really. I might would've bought this Carvin setup.

7. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    Yeah I really wanted that head when I first saw it. Pretty cool.

8. Richard G

Richard G

Jun 16, 2009
    i have a carvin 2x10 cabinet with red horn...after a while the cross over inside kinda fell apart inside, that was my experience on a carvin cab.

9. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I have used that cab before. I hated it.....made me loose faith in Carvin until I got the BRX.

10. KevtheRev

KevtheRev

Feb 3, 2008
    Hey,
    I just picked up a GK NEO 410 at Guitar Center yesterday for $499, Memorial Weekend special. No brainer - sounds great.

It's light, even w/ casters on. I'm finding that casters are great not only for loading in-out, but small positioning adjustments with head already on top, and isolation from the floor.

11. well maybe just a little avatar love is in order here...

i don't know about the "Neo" model, but i have one of the "Kappa" 410 ones which i guess they don't make anymore and it's pretty much the most badass cab ever. damn thing weighs over a hundred pounds lol! but it is unbelievably LOUD, and it retains the quality of tone even at extreme volumes. i have pushed it very hard at times, with lemmy-esque distortion, and it has never even broken a sweat. it's just a total champ and it's been with me since i first started playing. lots of times i've tried to replace it with cabs that were supposed to be better, but nothing has come close.

anyway, i can't speak for the Neo model but avatar is no joke. mine can easily handle stuff that would break most other 410's.

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    The price on the tuff-rug model Avatar Neo 410 is (($489.00)) plus shipping...(even with shipping it'll be the least expensive of the three.)

All the speaker cabinet/sound guru's here at T.B. will tell ya not to pay any attention to manufacturers listed frequency response specs, (they don't tell the whole true story.)

Avatar uses Eminence's, top of the line, cast framed, Neo drivers with a custom x-max. (Same as Berg, Epi.)
    Carvin uses Eminence's, less expensive stamped steel frame, Neo drivers, (as I believe does G.K.)

Screw on casters you can get at any hardware/farm supply store for around $5.00 each.
    Socket casters will run around $10.00 each.

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Just my .02: think of the Avatar TB153 instead of any of those 410s. At least as loud, and deeper with better dispersion than the others.

14. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    We make our own speakers and the Neo are cast frame!
    Bob

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    None of that information is adequate to make an informed decision. Knowing the specs on their drivers I'd take the Avatar over the Carvin. Since G-K doesn't reveal their driver specs there's no way to compare it other than playing through them side by side.

16. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'm hearing the Avatar love but the thing I don't care for is the "you buy it and it's yours forever" policy... :meh:

17. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    If I do go Avatar I will be considering that cab as well... that could very well be the one I choose.

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well there you go! The one in mine sure look like Eminence, though...but that's why I bought it :)

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Not a slam at G.K., I use a G.K. 800 head and a G.K. MB2-500 head...but...
    Best get ahold of Eminence...
    (((Their listing G.K. as one of the companies they supply speakers to.)))

20. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    The 26Hz spec on the Carvin is a joke. I have one. :(
    Never played the GK, but must admit I'm skeptical of 30Hz at -3dB....