1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 Similar to Eden at half the weight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alistair R, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I'm in the market for a new 410. I'm an eden fanatic at heart tone wise, just love it. With these new ultralight cabinets on the market, I feel there is little point in purchasing an XLT or an XST 410.

What cabs would you say have similar tonal characteristics to eden 410's in the same price range that are ultralight? Markbass 410HF? Do Epifani 410's have a similar voicing to eden 410's or are they very neutral? I currently own a Behringer 410, whilst it's a good cab for the money, it's probably the heaviest 410 on the market at 100lb.

Any suggestions are welcome, any help is much appreciated.

Thank you! :)

2. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I part exchanged my 410XLT for a Markbass 102hf and 102p and have been delighted with the tone now for over a year (some kind of record). Similar sort of sound but more audible on stage IMO.

The 104 cabs are about the only ones I haven't tried though.

3. Cool, thanks.

Anyone else?

4. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Markbass 104HF , very punchy and front ported.
    If you have the cash , you might consider the Epifanu UL410

5. Yeh, I won't get to try the Epifani as the nearest dealer is about 8 hours away. The Markbass will def get a run.

Anyone else? How does the Epi sound compared to the Edens?

6. I would not call the Epi410UL neutral, but it is much crisper and 'quicker' sounding than the Eden410XLT. It has a nice growl like the Eden 410XLT, but coming more from a higher mid frequency than the low mid growl of the Eden (which IMO is where all the 'articulate' comments about this cab come from). The treble response is much cleaner on the 410UL versus any cab in the Eden line.

I would not say they sound that similar (the Eden410XLT has a very, very unique tone), but I would say they are at least in the same tone ballpark versus, for example the Berg, AccuGroove or EA stuff). They will still give you a nice 'non hi fi grunt' that seems to work really well muscling your sound through a mix just like the EdenXLT line IMO.

As a former Eden user, I'm very happy with the 410UL tone.... it works great in rock/pop/funk settings just like the XLT, and really is half the weight.

I've never played the Schroeder 410L, but have heard good things about that cab also, and it's only about 10 pounds heavier than the 410UL.

7. Great, thanks Ken. Eventually, I'll be running the new cab with a WT550, what's the UL410 + WT550 combo like?

May not buy a cab though, a Sadowsky with single coils is calling :(

8. I know all about the 'Sadowsky call':D

The Eden/Epi410UL match works wonderfully.... punchy, warm, and loud. The UL410 comes in 4ohm version, which works great with the WT550. It's amazing how vintage you can get that combination with the Ep tweeter turned almost off, and how modern that same combination can sound with the tweeter at 10 o'clock or so. Very nice!

9. Sounds like my type of combination. Yeah, I played a UV70-4 with single coils, it absolutely rocked. Can't decide on which model to get, whether I go an MV5 or UV70, 4 or 5 string. If I decide against a Sadowsky, I may buy a Marcus Miller 4 string, and buy the Epifani UL410. Sounds like my type of cab.

10. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    As Ken said , make sure you get the 4Ohm version so you can get all the juice from the 550.

11. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks for asking :mad:) (KJ, you knew I'd have to butt in on this one) Just played this rig last night and it is a VERY nice combination! Clear, clean, but warm...sparkly if the tweeter's on. Good "heft" to the sound, if that makes any sense. The sound man came up to me at intermission and said it sounded GREAT!

12. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    Exactly how I use it. I love all the combinations (but I love both cabs the best).

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm with KJung on the Epi's. I've heard my Eden 550WT thru Kens Epi 410UL. It was a most excellent combination. The biggest difference is that the Epi is smoother on the high end. You can still get that Rock and Roll Eden Tube growl with the Epi's, Very Cool. Another alternative might be to talk to Don at Low Down Sound. He built me a 212 UL and a 210 UL. With B & C drivers and Selenium tweeters. They sound great and the two cabs TOGETHER weigh less then my old Eden 410! Kens heard my rig and was very impressed. I certainly don't find myself Gassing for anything else these days in the rig category. I know he's built some sweet 410UL's, in fact hearing one of his is what convinced me to order mine.

14. Thanks once again for all of your responses, most helpful. I think the WT550 + UL410 set up sounds absolutely killer, so I may aim for this rig if I can. Thanks!

15. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    DO IT!!!! This combo sounds awesome... fat, crisp, quick and hifi, and if you roll off the horn and the enhance, fat and oldschool enough to get away with it

I WANT THAT CAB!!! :D

Btw, which sadowsky uv70 did you play with singles in it?!?

16. That black UV70-4 w/ white blocks. Guy and I were 100% positive they were singles as they made more noise than the humcancelling.

17. If you ever decide to sell your eden 112 cab id be interested Alistair. Id like an extra cab to add to my eden 210xst and 550 head.

18. Not a problem, Mark. How do you like the 210XST with the 550? What's the 210 like weight wise?

19. Go epifani 310UL to save some bucks if you want. I love mine. I can literally hoist my bass over a shoulder, grab a head by a handle with that same arm, and carry the 310 with the other arm.

The tone is great, but it all depends on the EQ of the head and the power of the head. Some low powered heads sound great, but epifani reccommends around 1000watts just for the 310. It can handle it all and hardly flinch.

I've been borrowing different heads for it. When funds allow I'd like to try a Kustom HD1200 to save $$ and still have plenty of power.

20. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Hey Al,

The Sadowsky SA410 is about halfway between the Eden410XLT and Epifani 410UL weight wise and probably tone wise as well. It certainly shows a mid to high mid presence which probably is closer to the Epifani and not as harsh as the Eden XLT. The highs are smooth and snappy and the bottom end is tight and articulate. The bottom end is probably not as wide as the Epifani but a lot more clearer than the Eden410 XLT. The Sadowsky is also very efficient so it can get very loud with a minimum amount of juice. I really couldn't compare though to the XST as I haven't had a chance to play one properly yet. For the money the SA410 is probably the best value 4x10 which will get you somewhere between the Epifani and Eden and still manageble to move around and save you some money. Obviously that's my opinion.
    If you really want to go lightweight and have a very versatile modular setup then a pair of EA NL210's would also get you a pretty good comprimise between the Epifani and Eden.
    This would give you options of using one box for small gigs or 2 for the more bigger venues. Cost would be not that much more but you would get a more versatile rig with more options.
    Happy hunting.
    Cheers,