410 vs 115 live show suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Aug 29, 2004.

1. tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    Ok hears the situation.I have Gk 800rb head and for cabs I have a ampeg bse115 with a horn(8ohms) and ampeg bse410hlf(4 ohms).My band has been currently been playing alot of traveling gigs with in house PA systems.To free up some space in the van Im gonna start to leave one of the cabs behind.Wich cab alone would you suggest to play out with in live settings with in house PA systems?Thanks ahead of time for any feedback and input.
  2. bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    leave the 15 at home, your better off taking the 4-10 there's more power handling and will definatly cut through better then a 15. Although it also is the heaver of the two. they eith on two diff gigs and then decide.
  3. I would definitely bring the 410, unless you regularly play through either by themselves and have a preferable choice. The 410 will have more clarity and cut through better in my opinion.
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    DEFINATELY the 410 is what you want!

You'll get more power out of that cab than the 115... simply because of its impedance. It'll handle the power if you need it.

1x15 cabs can be standalones.... just... they simply arent as suited for the job as 4x10 cabs are.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wake-up fact:

ANY good quality 4x10 is going to give you more lows than a similar quality 1x15 . . .

Don't believe me, just do a side-by-side comparison.

The 1x15 will throw bass further into the room, but the 4x10 will sound deeper.

If you have PA support, definitely go with the 4x10.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would vote 410
    even though i use a bag end 1x15 which in a side by side comparison did just about as well as my old swr 410, but that's a bag end :D
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Take whichever one sounds best to you.

Theyll both be roughly the same size, so that isnt an issue.
    You will have full PA support, so loudness isnt a factor.
    In fact, the only 'factor' to consider is which one cuts through the band mix more, but you could just be turned on the PA.