Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 vs 115: what's the difference in sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Hopefully this won't have been covered too often this month!!! A search didn't seem to find much.

The Senario...

Called into the dealer and began generally talking about cabs. It so happened that there was a Harke stack in front of us with the 115 below and a 410 atop. There was no trying-out done, just a lot of talking.

Anyway, I popped the question above. I wanted to know, generally, and all other things (like head settings, same bass, etc) being equal, what might I expect the 115 to sound like, as opposed to the 410. The guy clearly had no idea what he was on about. He waffled himself into a bit of a hole. So I left the shop.

Is there a definitive answer to a question like that?

Cheers.

John

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Way to many variables for the cab settings. Generally the 15 has more boomy bass, and the 10's have more mid clarity.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    put ten different 410 cabs together and they're all going to sound different. same with ten 1x15's.

blindfold yourself and i bet on a good # of those cabs you wouldnt be able to tell which one it is.

best thing, go try out a ton of cabs (with your bass). those two things on the sides of your head will tell you much more than we ever could.

oh and, forgive me, but this is too tempting......... :rolleyes:

are you by any chance the sheriff of your town?

:p

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    He is not the sheriff. Look at his name, he is Rockin "little" John. :D

I couldn't resist either :p

5. Nope!

Not me the sheriff. We still have one, of course, but he's a sort-of civic figure these days: I don't think he's on the trail of criminals...criminals like a certain Mr Hood, of course ;)

Little John is closer. Supposedly called Little John because he was so large, I am a better fit I think :crying:

No problem, guys, feel free....... :D

John

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are way too many variables to answer the question directly, but what happens if you isolate many of the variables: put two Hartke XL series cabs next to each other, the 4x10 and 1x15 will likely be very different sounding and you'll probably know which is which.;)