Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

410 vs "Mini" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bas_anton, Dec 20, 2003.

1. I have a Hartke 410XL. I´m really happy with it except for one thing, it´s heavy.(I keep it upstairs) I´ve been reading about the EBS Neo cabs (112&110). I have no experience of so small cabs. Does cabinets of this size come near the big sound of a 410.

My amp is Hartke 3500 which now runs at 8 ohms, with these cabinets it will run at 4 ohms.

Please tell me of your experience with smaller cabinets.

2. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    There are a number of threads discussing this issue...it seems that players have had some success using a combination of single 12s and single 10s to be able push about the same amount of air.

I have a similar concern and am waiting for delivery of an Epifani 4x10UL...ultralite...59 lbs. instead of 95! The sound of this cabinet is by all accounts fantastic. Should be here next week. I purchased it from John at Bass Emporium (www.bassemporium.com). I got the 8 ohm model. They are available in 4 ohm configuration also.

3. I like the idea to be able to use only one cab on smaller gigs and then com with my "big" rig to a larger gig.

4. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I opted for smaller cabs that can be put into a "big" rig. I don't think a single 10" would ever get used by me, so I opted for an Avatar 210 4 ohm and I have to Aggie GS112's (each at 8 ohm.

So, for coffee house type stuff I can use a single 112. For most gigs I can get by with 2-112's. If it's a boomy room I can go 210.

For my "big" rig, I can run the 2-112 of 1 B2R, go pre out into power in of a second B2R and power the 210. I can stack it or go on either side of the drummer.

I think that has me pretty well covered.

(Plus, I leave the 210 and 1 head at the guitarist's house so I don't have to schlep anything but a bass.)