1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410 VS Two 210 VS Two 112 VS 810E for Hard Rock

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MotorTed, Sep 19, 2008.

1. 1. My 410 works for me and this is why.

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. 2.Two 210s -stack them to get them closer to your ear and they sound/transport better because...

17 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. 3. Two 112 cabs stack well and sound/transport better because....?

14 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. 4. I like a 212 cab because it sounds/ transport better how and why?

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. 5. Nothing compares: I carry my 810 on one sholder,my SVT in one hand you should too Nancy boy.:eek:

27 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I was thinking of changing up my rig and trying something new. If you have the following set up, please post a picture, and try to describe what you like about the sound as compared to the other choices in the poll. This rig would be used for small bars and an ocasional nightclub.

1. My 410 works for me and this is why.

2.Two 210 cabs work better because you can stack them vertically and get them closer to your ear and they sound/transport better than the other choices because...

3. Two 112 cabs stack well and sound/transport better because....?

4. I like a 212 cab because it sounds/ transport better how and why?

5. Nothing compares: I carry my 810 on one sholder,my SVT and bass in the other hand and you should too Nancy boy.:eek:

2. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I use two 4x10 Acme Low B4 cabinets stacked on top of each other in an 8x10 configuration. This sounds best to me and is portable enough for my needs - one cab has a set of casters on it allowing me to move things around pretty easily. I like the transparent "studio quality" sound of Acme cabs because I really like how my bass sounds in the studio and when recorded and I want this reflected on the stage and to my bandmates on stage. This also works well when I don't have PA support; I can really crank the Acme cabs and fill the room, sounds like subwoofers. You can see a pic of this in my avatar, minus the two additional 2x10 cabs stacked to the right. I rarely use it as pictured in my avatar.

I didn't make my cab choice based off woofer diameter. I made my cab choice based off what I thought sounded best, and in doing so I learned that woofer diameter has little if anything to do with how a cab will sound. It all is in how the cab is tuned to match the woofer(s) that is installed within it.

3. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I did the two cab thing, but it just didnt work for me. I like to have a 15", nothing rumbles like one, a 12 gets close. I lug around the Powerhouse 1000 to get the tone I want. I am looking at Dr Bass stuff for smaller gigs.

4. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I don't have any up to date pics of my rig but I use an SVT810E with an SVT4PRO. I get the tone I want, I have plenty of headroom with the 4PRO, the 810E handles it perfectly, yes it is a bit heavy but it's not that hard to move actually. It kicks back like a dolly, if your vehicle isn't to high off the ground all you have to do is tilt it and slide it in (sounds a bit dirty I know). That's what I would go with if I were you, however, go try out each set up and see which one you like best.

5. I have the same setup, but I wished I had originally went with two 4x10s rather than the 8x10. Without access to a larger vehicle, that fridge has to hitch a ride.

gear.

Granted, I have the 4x10 option...but it's just not the same.:meh:

6. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    S7304229.

I sold my Mesa rig ( Big Block 750 w/ powerhouse & 6x10 ).. it was just getting too heavy for me and too much sound/power to play in the smaller clubs.. so I sold it and settled on the Mark Bass Jeff Berlin combo and a 1x15 Mark Bass cab..

I could not be happier... the sound from these 15's are amazing.. very 12" like but with incredible "thump"..

I also switched from my 1990 Yamaha Attitude Ltd (10 lbs ) to playing the Hohner Steinberger copy.. I replaced all the electronics with EMG HB and BTC controls... whenever i play on a stage and none can get to me.. I will bring out my Spector which is a dream...

7. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have a V4B on top of an Ampeg 810E. Say what you will about the weight and the size consideration of transporting, it's worth it. Miles of tube tone and no one drowns me out that is why I voted for the last selection on the list.

8. The Ampeg 8x10 is a great cab but only if you don't plan on moving it much. Its really not a gigging cabinet due to how dang heavy it is and how hard it is to get in and out of a car/truck. Ive got a Ampeg 6x10 but it stays in my garage as a practice cab and I absolutely love it, its got such fat tone even when its turned up loud. For gigging I use either my SWR 2x10 or my Ampeg 4x10. Sure I'd love to have my 6x10 to gig with but it's just way to heavy and hard to move around. Plus most venues plug you in to the house and you really don't need anything more than a 4x10. Ideally I would love to have a really solid 2x12 to gig with.

9. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    4x10 1x18 750 watts....:bassist:

10. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Heh, I'm scared to get my mesa 810... it's 173 lbs, but a lot smaller than the ampeg fridge. Hopefully with my SUV it won't be too hard to move.

11. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Now, if you had the 610 option in your poll you'd have your answer to portability and sound. :smug:

NV610 users unite! :bassist:

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    No love for the 15?

13. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    An 8x10 for playing small bars? In some places, the rig alone will take up nearly half the stage! :eek:

I'm in favor of multiple smaller cabs - either (2) 2x10 cabs, or (2) 1x12 cabs - depending on your preferred voicing. For hard rock, I guess I'd prefer 10s over 12s. YMMV...

MM

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Only if you put it on its side, which you shouldn't be doing anyway. Otherwise it takes up no more room than a 410.

I like options 2 and 5 the best if you're looking for in-your-face projection. A 112 stack or a 212 will be a little smaller but should be able to move some air, though not like a 210 vertical stack or an 810. But I think I'm done with 410's. I'd much rather have two 210's than a single 410.

15. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    I run 2 410RBH GK cabs. Nothing beats the sound of a wall of tens. The two cabs is purely for portability and the option of only using one at a time for much smaller gigs.

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Perfect answer not included: Bergantino NV610.

17. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I really like this combo. It has become my favorite amp to plug into at GC.

I have used 3 out of the 5 rigs listed in this poll. I used 2 Mesa 15 cabs for years but I didn't list that option knowing it is a good option that I had previously had. I do miss them though.

I also love the NV610!
    I didn't want to play that trump card! I'm looking to try something different. I didn't want to steer the discusion in any direction. I just wanted detailed user feedback on why they picked their rig for hard rock in small spaces!

18. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    How does that sound? I started to build this type of stack myself back in 2002. I have the Ampeg SVT350H and SVT118E still but never got around to getting the 410 after I bought the 810E.

19. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have found the answer to be an Aggie GS412 not much more weight than the Berg 610 but to me has a better hard rock sound and with 300 watts of tube pushing it, I can handle most any size club. As far as stage size handling it, if it can't then our metal band will be way to loud for it any way.

20. MotorTed

MotorTed

Apr 16, 2006
    CT, USA
    I haven't had the pleasure of a GS412. The gentleman I bought my NV610 from sold it to buy a GS412. He later sold the GS412 to get a new NV610.:eyebrow: