1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

410He + 410He = 810E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Williamsburgjim, Mar 28, 2007.

1. I tryed doin a search but could not find whether or not 2 svt 410's will sound the same as the fridge. You would think they would, being both 8ohm and sealed, but doesn't the 410 have a horn? (Of course I guess you could turn it off.)

Anyway, does anybody run two of these for bigger gigs, and then just one for smaller ones?

2. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Turn off the horn. The cabinet has the same internal dimensions and uses the same 32-ohm drivers.

Great cabinet. It is the only readily available 4x10" cabinet design I enjoy, even though the specification look like crap on paper compared to the competition.

3. I feel the exact same way about that cab (though I won't play a 4 string thru it). On paper it sucks but a/b'n them, they sound great. I think I'm gonna pick one up for small gigs as more or less a monitor. My bassplayer bud actually uses two, and puts them on either side of his drummer (I never thought of that).

Anyway, I've got the hlf as a stand-alone but am continuing to look for more versatility (I'm in three projects too) along with revamping my gear.... .

4. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Depending on the stage and placement, that can actually be a very bad thing for tone and volume. You can get all kinds of phase cancellation in front of the stage.

When I said the specifications "looked like crap", I should have been more specific. The specifications are realistic, actually, which makes them pale to the claims of some of the competition.

The cabinet does indeed sound like half a SVT cabinet. It is a unique, midrange mash that cuts through with great effect.

5. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Not quite, the 810 is 26 inches wide, the 410 is 24 inches wide. They do sound similair but I find the 810 even when using only the top half (4x10) had more lows and sounded deeper than the 410.

6. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I said internal, not external. You have to take into account the the SVT410HE is proportionally taller has all squared edges (versus the tiltback cuts on the SVT810E).

7. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario

fair enough, but I still do not think they have the same internal volume but then again I never actually measured them myself.

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Why not? You probably meant 5 string?

9. SVT810E goes WAY lower than the SVT410HE. I thought the SVT410HE sounded like it had to high of a roll off on the low frequencies.

If you are going to do low-tunings or a 5 or 6 string, I would highly suggest something with some more low end.

Maybe 410HLF?

10. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Get a 610HLF. I've had one for over 2 years now, and it's easily the best sounding, loudest cabinet Ampeg makes. The fridge is just too weak in the low end and does not compete cuz there's no porting in the cab for getting the deep frequencies.

The only thing I've found better, is my new Eden cabs.

11. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    He never said he wanted tons of low end...

12. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I've got a gk1001rb-ii though a 410he and I'm VERY pleased with the sound. I play with a fiver too and I think it handles the frequencies just fine

13. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    As a former owner of both cabinets and a current owner of a SVT410HE, I disagree. With the tweeter turned off, the SVT410HE sounds pretty much exactly like half a SVT810E. This is not surprising due the physics involved.

I would never describe the SVT810 as going "WAY lower" than any bass cabinet; it is a midrange mash of bass mayhem. Do you own or use the cabinet, or are basing your opinion on Guitar Center usage <sincere question>?

14. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Can I ask why you doubt so? Just curious.

The SVT810E is divided into 4 separate and nearly equal chambers (effectively four 2x10" cabinets). The SVT410HE is divided into 2 separate chambers.

The two are within reasonable tolerances of being equal, being effectively the same internal volume.

Especially in the case of a sealed boxes, the internal volume is not AS critical.

The only problem with a pair of SVT410HE cabinets is the weight... it will actually weigh more than the SVT810E by a good margin; it will be easier to schlep up stairs, though, in my opinion.

Another option will be the new Bergantino NV610... about the same weight as the SVT410HE with a bit more mojo and a lot more price... I want one. :D

15. "Why not? You probably meant 5 string?"

Willem,

No, I don't own a 4. My point was that I was concerned with the freq. range for that cab not being capable of capturing the 30hz~ needed for the low B, but rather was only supprised that the 410he somehow sounded good even with a 5. It's weird. My guess it has something to do with tube + sealed cab phenom.. Either that or I don't know what I'm hearing or talking about, which is certainly possible :)

16. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    IME the 2 410he's didn't sound anywhere near as huge or low as an 810. Again, that's just my experience.

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I think the whole "tons of low end" thing is highly overated and actually causes more problems.

I find my SVT810E allows my bass to cut through the band mix extemely well with a tight punchy tone that everyone seems to love. Its not woofy or indistinct but instead is loud and punchy! Combined with my SR5, I can slay dragons with my mid growly tone! The low B string sounds great too!