410RBH or Neo212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by needmoney, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hey people, I just forked over the dough for a 1001RB-II, pickin it up on Friday! I'm just looking at my cabinet choices for future reference. I'm stickin with GK so I can take advantage of the biamp feature.

My 2 main choices are the 410RBH or the Neo212.

I'd like to stick with a single 4 ohm cab for all purposes, and I know this option is available for both of these cabs. My main goal is a tight, punchy low-end, growly low-mids, and smooth highs, not ear peircing. I'm pretty sure both of these cabs will go quite loud also. I don't care about the weight issues, I just want the 'better' of the two.

Anyone whose had experience with or owns either of these cabs, just share your thoughts and preferences.

Thanks a lot.
  2. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    oh thats a tough one.... the 2x12's have surprisingly growly mids and excellent highs without being harsh and will also have more bottom then the 10's. everyone keeps saying how balanced sounding the GK neo 12's are. i recently spoke with a GK rep and he suggested a neo 212 cab to go with my neo700 112 combo. i told him i was looking for lotsa of mid range punch, and nice low end. he said the 12's should provide plenty of punch. so its up to you really. i dont think either cab will let you down. :cool:
  3. Hmmm cool, my only gripe about the Neo212 is its 98dB rating as opposed to the 103db of the 410RBH, surely that would make a fair bit of difference?

Although, the Neo212 has a frequency response of 36Hz compared to the 410RBH's 50Hz which makes the decision tougher again...

Where's Daniel Elliot and ebmuscmanlvr83 when ya need em?
  4. I don't have any experience with the Neo cab, but I had the 410RBH that I powered with the 1001RB III. It was an amazing comination. I absolutely loved it.
  5. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Taken from riksmusic.com^^^^

6. That's cool, how did the cab handle the low E? Could it take drop tuning to D very well? I don't detune very often but I'd still like the option. How were the lows in general by itself?

7. "The Neo 212 (2x12+horn) is only 64 pounds but it can produce 105dB of sound level, with an 8 Ohm load, backed up by a massive 600W RMS power rating tag."

Hmm those specs are different to the specs on the GK site.. I wonder which ones are right, 105dB is pretty crazy.
  8. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I own a 1001-rb-II, and I have owned the rbh410 (i actually had 2x 8 ohm versions to stack for really big shows), and it was probably the best 410 i've played, and always worked fine as a stand alone. i only sold them when I downsized.

I got the steal of the century about 2 years ago. 99$ for a damaged blow-out floor model 8 ohm RBH410 (just scuffed and corners cracked). I about peed on myself. i paid $500 for my other one used. crazy.

This RBH cab was one of the few 410s that seemed to be able to take the 5-string switch on (@11db+ at 20Hz) when the volume was high. The RBH destroys the SBX410. I've actually moved to 15"s to replicate some of the low end i used to get with the RBHs.

The rbh410 blew away the ampeg BXT-410HL4 which i had briefly. the only other 410 cab i think that comes close is the ampeg PR-410HLF.

mind you, I have never tried the 2x12 neos. i think they look stylish, that sasha guy has been playing through them on the INXS singer show and they look and sound great with his EBMM stingray 5 and GK heads.

I may suggest getting the rbh410 at 4 ohms or better yet the 4x12 neo and not look back.

I think a 2x12 is too small in general. I briefly had an ampeg PB-212H (porta bass 2x12) and it was crap, terrible. it could not handle anything. it may of worked okay for upright. i would hope the GK neos would be better, but that ampeg portabass experience left me a bad taste for the whole neo thing.
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I play with a GK 1001RB-II and NEO212 and I like it just fine. I've never heard it distort once and it can shake the doodoo out of you. Unfortunately mine is the 8 ohm so I can't say how well it takes being cranked to it's full potential. Plenty loud IMO though.
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Hands down the 2X12 over the 4X10 for weight alone. I've heard glowing reports on the NEO 2-12 from 5 string players. The NEO 2X12 Weighs about the same as my Bergie HT210 and would undoubtly put out more sound in general as its a bigger cab. I have the NEO1X12 and with one more, would have a very formidable little system. I say go for the 2X12 and save your back.
  11. The 2x12 NEO is a great little cab. If I were to guess on the specs, I'd go with the 105db rating over the 98db. This cab is pretty loud.
  12. Hmmm if I go with the Neo212, would it be wise to get the 8 ohm version if I really want to add another cab later? Is it slightly underpowered with only 460 watts? Or is it still quite loud?
  13. I run 550 watts through mine and its quit loud. I usually keep my gain at 9 o' clock and master volume at 12. 460 watts should be pretty loud. I recommend going with the 8 ohm version. I was originally gonna get two of them, but the one was loud enough for everything I needed. If I ever do get the second one, thats 1200 watts at 4 ohms. Freak'n loud.
  14. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    everyone with a GK 2x12 and rb 1001 rb II (460 watts @ 8 ohms) has said it will do ANY size gig they could ever imagine. it will handle the low notes quite a bit better then the 4x10 rbh. if you for some reason did need more you could always add 2x10s to it or 112 or ever another 212! but i hear that 412's is just a massive wall of sound and sounds like it would only be practical at outdoor gigs since youd prolly drowned your whole band out at most indoor gigs. :D PLUS the 212 is very compact and a bit lighter then the 4x10. i know you said the size wasnt an issue but i think youll really dig the BIG sound in a small cab. most people on TB dig em and youll turn the heads of many other bassists who hear and feel the sound coming from the little cab.
  15. The Neo212 seems like the preferred choice, might stick with that. It's also a bit cheaper which is a bonus. Thanks for all your help guys.
  16. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    The maximum sound level and the sensitivity of the cab are not the same thing... Maybe that explains the different specs..
  17. One last bump for good luck.