Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

428 crash- Help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Jan 4, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Well, this is truly making me feel bad. O.k., I powered up my power-amp (for monitors) when my US428 was ON and plugged into the amp (line-outs from 428 connected to power-amp). It was also connected to the USB port. Now neither the sliders nor the transport on the unit itself control the application (Cubasis VST- that came with the controller). Neither do the Select buttons, Solo, Mute, or Null buttons have any effect. Can I fix this? I am, obviously, pretty horrified.

I got a message from Windows (XP) that they are getting a report on it for the purpose of fixing the software. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem- and am I screwed? I am kind of begging for an answer to help this out, here.
    Thanks,
    Rog. :(

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's what, a powered mixer for use with a computer? Does it have some type of factory reset switch you could try? Look for a user forum like this one, but specifically for the gear your talking about, i've found there's a forum for damn near everything these days. Did you try re-installing whatever software it came with? Have you looked in Cubase's devices list to see if you need to add it back in for whatever reason? Good luck!

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, thanks for the interest.

It's not a powered mixer, exactly, but a Tascam US 428, which is a USB interface/surface controller for a software application. It has line-outs, for the purpose of monitoring playback, etc. from the app's virtual mixer. The power amp I am using is a Crest FA901. It's the one I use with my bass rig, and it was handy to use for a monitor amp.

Didn't think it would be an issue, but I realize it may have been dumb to violate the rules of signal flow when turning on this and that...
    It was working fine until I turned it on while everything was connected. I think the reason for the blowout is obvious; but I don't know exactly what part of this new alien system I'm into got damaged. Been checking other forums... thanks again for the reply.

Rog.