Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'43 Kay S-51 B - value?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tsarter, Nov 1, 2004.

1. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I came across a nice sounding and playing five string Kay S-51 B today. Cosmetically it is rough - been played A LOT and has several repairs - but a quick inspection shows it structurally sound. Serial number indicates a '43. Strung with a high C. They are asking $1800. Any input on the value? Remember it is a good player but in overall rough shape.

Thanks,

TS

2. T.S.,
    I've seen 1 or 2 of these and they usually need some work.They are alittle more on the rare side,so this might be a fair price if it is truely in sound shape.HTH'S...Good luck.

3. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Thanks, Mark. Do you recall if the finger board hung over the edge of the neck down towards the body on the ones you have seen?

Thanks,

Tim

4. Yes the fingerboard did hang over the edge of the neck alittle bit.I believe Kay used a standard 4 string neck,added the extra tuner, but used a wider fingerboard.The necks on all Kays are ussualy thin and at some point require a new board and sometimes a neck set to give the bass more access to bow,thumb position and stability.The increase in sound is the end result.

5. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Once again, thanks Mark. Your reply was most helpful.

6. Given the rough condition, I think 1800 is a bit high, but the S-5B is a rarer Kay than most, so it may well be worth it.

The darn things just keep appreciating. I got my '52 Swingmaster for 500, a number of years ago and they're going for 1200 or so now.

Examine the neck closely for cracks/repairs.

Good luck. Kays are Kool:cool: