44-01 or stingray or jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Dec 25, 2004.

1. i have a TOTAL of 850 dollars to speand on a nice bass that better last me the rest of my life!

so far i come up with these choices........

lakland 44-01 maple neck brand new

musicman stingray 4 string maple neck USED if i can find one

fender jazz bass new 4 string maple neck

i will not buy over the internet i HAVE to play the bass before i by it!!!!!!
  2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Get a 4402 and have the benefits of all. The MM pickup, the jazz bass pickup and the split coil option on the rear pickpup... A little more money or if you see one used you will definitely be around your budget
  3. but the chances of finding one used are really slim int tucson.
  4. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Although I do agree with Pickebass, I think you would be happy with either the Stingray or the Lakland 44-02. That is unless you are extremely happy with the sound you get from the Fender you already have. You really need to watch ebay for some of these basses to come available. It let's you go from considering what's available to you in Tuscon to considering what's available to you all over the world.
  5. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Since you already have a jazz bass, I would say go for the Stingray (or Sterling, which I think is about the same, just with a more "jazz like" neck and smaller body) I saw one on blowout at GC for $799 - blueburst with maple board...

Another option - G&L L-2500. I bet you could get a good used one for that price. I have the Tribute and it is sounds great - the US versions have better craftsmanship.

The good thing with either choice is that you would have a very different sound from your second bass. Kind of like having a Fender Stratocaster (Jazz) and then buying either a Les Paul (Stingray) or a Gibson SC (G&L L-2500).
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you anywhere near the Dude? He doesn't have a store front, but he usually has some killer stuff on hand.

plus he's a lakland dealer
  7. Back to the original thread's title.

I would try one of those Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn J basses
    or the KSD proto J 60s.

If you want U.S. then an Americna Standard J bass.
  8. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I would say go for a Skyline 44-02. You'll find a MINT used one for around your price range. I've been gassin for one lately, I've been playing a passive jazz for the last 2 years and I think I just want something different. The Lakland would pretty much cover what you could get in a stingray and a jazz, looks killer, sounds killer, and has sturdy craftsmanship.
  9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'd go w/ the lakland, too... Hell, I DID go w/ the Lakland, & I don't have any regrets at all... It's very nice, you'll love it.