Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

44-02/55-02 players: how do you like your passive sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bino, Apr 15, 2004.

1. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm hunting for my first (and probably last) quality bass in the $1000 range. Originally I was just targeting MIA Fenders, Skyline Sig's, and a few other passive 4 stringers. But I've become intrigued by these active Laklands. I'm just wondering how they sound in passive setting. I'm not real experienced and only have my beater Peavey P as a reference, but my idea of good bass tone definitely leans towards vintage. So I'm leary of all these new-fangled electronics. On the other hand, as I become a better player and experiment a bit my tastes and influences are broadening. So, something more versatile has its appeal. Please sell a luddite on the virtues of modern technology.

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    It sounds great whenever I use it. Only thing is, I have to switch inputs on my amp (Mesa M-Pulse 600) whenever I go passive, so I usually don't. Passive isn't very fun to me, which is why I only own active basses, and the pull-Passive option is just in case my battery happens to go out, which has never happened, since I keep my gear up to snuff! ;) But, my 55-02 is killer. I love it. I don't know what tone more you'd want after you get this bass. Everything is there.

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Yup, tone is killer no matter what you do with it. I use the passive sound sometimes if I want to sound just like Jaco or something like that. The passive mode is great.

4. papalastre

papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Scotland
    I don't mind the passive mood, but it isnt as, well, active as active: a lot less coloured and more distant in passive. once your battery packed you won't go back. ;)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    On my 55-01, the passive sound,, is exactly the same as the with the pre ON,, w/ all controls set to neutral.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Isn't the same as on the -02's, cause it's a Bart preamp. When my bass is plugged into the Active input, and I pull the Passive knob, I can barely hear it. 'Course, if I only had 1 input, it'd probably do something similar. But I like having Active and Passive inputs.

7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR

The passive option does nothing about dead batteries. My batt. You would think it would, but it doesn't.

8. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hmmm. That's what I've always heard. Haven't tried it, but if your battery goes out, and you bypass the preamp, it wouldn't still work? Volume and everything would just cut off?

9. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, it does absolutely nothing. Try taking out your battery and pulling the volume knob.

Damn I hate typos.

10. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I'm pretty sure that it's a eq-bypass instead of an actual active/passive switch. At least that's the way it is with my 55-01, tried the no battery trick, and of course, nothing. I haven't noticed any difference in volume when switching from eq-on to eq-off. I just leave the eq flat anyway, maybe that's why rockstar is getting such a volume difference?

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Just call me RSB! :D Everyone else does...

But yeah, I always cut/boost my EQ, so that's possibly why I get such volume difference. I hardly ever leave anything flat. I like to change tones on the fly instead of adjusting my amp, which is why I play active basses. I like leaving my amp how it is, and then if I need a lil' somethin', I just kick it up a notch.