Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

44-02 vs Ray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Well I searched here for about 45 mins now and got a little info, but it was mostly just buy this or buy that without much backing.

I want a bass upgrade... I like a maple fretboard, I play rock and punk, but experiment with slapping and play around a little with other styles. I have played a ray and liked it, but have no experience with Laklands.

The ray didnt seem to have to much tonal differences, and the neck was very "chunky" (large from fretboard to back of neck). How does the 44-02 compare? It appears that the ray is a little wider on the frets so I imagin the string spacing on the ray is also a little wider...

So, for Rock, punk and atleast enough versatility to learn other styles, what do you think? Also include ease of playing and neck size.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The 'Ray has a more aggressive sound than the 44-02 with Barts which would be better for rock and punk, I think.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Lakland doesn't have a chunky neck like the Stingray, and the pickups are mellower. The Stingray has a neck that is more like a P bass, while the Lakland is more like a Jazz but the fingerboard is a little flatter and the frets are smaller.

Haven't played a 44-02, but have played a 55-02 and 4-94. Personally, I don't care for the way a Stingray plays (love the sound though), but I love the Lakland to death.

Hope this helps

4. how different sounding are the 2 instruments, is it like black and white? Is a Lakland mainly a jazz unit?

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've owned them both.

The Stingray has a chunkier neck and a more aggressive "boingy" sound due to S.D. pickup.

The 44-02 has a slimmer neck and the Bart pup/pre system. This is a more mellow "hi-fi" sound, with more tonal options.

The build quality is great for both, but the Stingray might have a little more "mojo" as it's U.S. built, as opposed to a Korean version of a U.S. instrument (although the Korean build is quite good).

From a sound perspective, it comes down to the pickup. If you put the Bart system in the Stingray, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two (and vice versa).

From a feel perspective, do you prefer a slim "J" style neck, or the chunkier Stingray neck?

For rock and punk, I'd probably say go for a Stingray, but you can't go wrong with either.

6. if your concerned that the stingray doesnt have enough tonal variance when compared to the 44-02.. then you might wanna check out the sterling.. also, the entire package of the bass is less 'chunkier' (thinner neck/smaller body)

Also to throw a monkey wrench into the works.. the 44-02 is available with Seymour Duncan pups (for a surcharge). The Duncans get closer to the true stingray sound, more so than the bart's do.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I tried several Laklands and Stingrays out a few different times I've gone to Bass Central, and I have to say the Stingrays held up exceptionally well. I had 2 of my own 'Rays; a '96, modded with a Bart p/u and a basslines pre, and a stock '80. Nothing was as nice as the '80, and the modded '96 was better to me than the Laklands , and the price difference was huge (the Skylines weren't out yet), so my opinion is to stick with a 'Ray.

8. fourstring44

fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    Here's my story:
    I'm new to both the Stingray and the lakland (old Fender guy) but I have had a Stingray for a few months now, and I must say I am very impressed with the bass it just does evrything well.
    So I pick up a 4402 last week (off of ebay) and when it arrives I am like "Holy ****" this thing is nice! It sounds wonderful in the bedroom, so needless to say I can't wait to take it to my New Years Eve gig last Friday. To make a long story short, I was dissapointed. It plays great, it feels great, but it was so mellow. I just didn't feel like it cut through the mix very well. Now for some this may be OK, but round and warm is not what I want in a live situation. I want a clear articulate sound. So for me the Ray is where it's at for live. I would have to guess the Lakie records very well but since most of my work is in clubs, the Stingray is still my "go to" bass.

_Curt

9. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You said it man: living room != club

But.....if you put a S.D. pickup in that 44-02, I'll bet you'll have a good club bass to your liking.

The Bart system works well for jazz, blues, and some forms of rock..but you really need to coax out a grindy, aggressive rock tone.

10. ok as far as I understand it, both basses are good quality, the 44-02 has a slimmer neck, but can I say produes a dull tone? I am kinda outta the loop on tone vocab so I'm not sure between the difference between a round and a cutting tone.

and yes, my main concern with the ray is a lack of tonal variety. I mean you can get instruments a lot cheaper to fill the hole of only one tone.

Sterlings have more tonal options than a ray? that is news to me. And I am sure I could get used to the big neck on the ray.... I hold my guitar more in the "rock" position than the classical position with the thumb on the back of the neck.

11. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Stingrays have a sharper attack and you hear them better through the mix of the band. The 44-02 sounds deeper (lower) and smoother. When you strike a string the 44-02, you get a nice pleasing smooth even tone, not a sharp, cutting attack.

If you want the best of both worlds, you might consider a 44-02 with Seymor Duncan pickups. That would give you rock attack/cut, versatility, and a slim neck.

Sterlings have the 3 position coil selector. IMO, this tweaks the tone a bit, but not much --- not like having pickups in different places on the bass.

good luck!

12. Grrrr. :spit: thats what i said!!! :D

13. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Just emphasizing your sage advice, brotha! :hyper:

14. Cool. RESPECTA
    [​IMG]

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    buy a sterling. best neck. best sound. best bass.

16. I actually played a sterling today, I fell in love with it... but only when the bass boost is all the way up.... thats the sound i like... not as twangy as when the bass boost is off

17. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You might try Sterling + Bart preamp....

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 to that.

19. Johnebass

Johnebass

Jan 2, 2005
    I've got all three at the moment although I haven't giged the Sterling yet.

The Stingray is a big sound, very punchy and you can hear yourself in any mix. The neck is similar to a P Bass but much more payable.

The Lakland is a great bass but just won't cut through the mix. I have a 44-02 and although I usually play rock I did a dep for a blues band playing at a much lower volume that usual it still didnt cut through espacially the G string which just seemed to get lost in the mix. The neck is great on the 44-02, much like a very fast Jazz, and its good for slapping. I suppose its a personal choice.

I'm hoping that the Sterling will give me the Stingray sound but with 44-02 playablilty. The 44-02 is now up for sale!!!! (QuiltedCherry sunburst with maple neck)

If you are interested I came across this on ebay in the UK, its a CD of sound comparison between the Stingray and the Lakland.........it might help.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3773613641&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V