44 Strings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaffabass, Jul 1, 2003.

1. jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    Hi there

One of the guys I play with emailed me this link today and I thought it would be of interest to some TBers.

I'm in no way connected with this project and cannot vouch for it, I just thought it looked like something which could end up being quite a nice and interesting recording.

Hope I've posted this in the correct forum, feel free to move it if not.
  2. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Ummmm...looks interesting. I like the idea, but something bothers me;

Submission guidelines
    You probably do remember Limp Bizkit's auditions for their new guitarist; somebody could easy collect a lot of cool riffs and lines and just play it as if they were his songs...:meh:
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What if one guy only used the E and A strings?

then it'd be 42 strings :D
  4. the whole thing seems very suspect.

personally, i wouldn't touch it with a bargepole as a guy who writes reviews for 44strings' label mrW44, David Blane (both in Edinburgh), is a complete **** of the highest order who trolls on the Channel4 4music forum (as "fraac") rubbishing other peoples' opinions.
    (he recently said any fans of the Black Crowes should kill themselves, believe it or not)
    he's also got bass playing aspirations-
    if he's involved it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ripped off submitted material.

5. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Thanks...I was really thinking of sending him one of my songs that are allready authorized...;)
  6. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    Oi! can you check your facts please?!!!

David Blane has indeed written a couple of reviews quoted on the mrw44 website - one of a live event he'd attended, and one of a compilation we put out. When I say "we" I should actually say "I" as I am the only person behind it all. I only know David Blane from meeting him at gigs, and because he also posts on our message board. I have never had any problems with him, and if others have on other forums, it's none of my business as he has nothing to do with the label itself.

Reviews quoted on the website should be taken for what they are: someone's opinion about a record we've put out or a gig we've organised, nothing more. All of them have been written by people who write for various websites or publications, but are in no way involved with the label. So even if one of the reviewers happened to be someone to avoid, is it not a bit childish to extend it to a warning against all that he reviews???

If anyone has any fears or queries about MY integrity (as I am the only person responsible for this project), please get in touch with me instead of posting unfounded accusations on forums like this.

Actually, Mock Turtle Regulator, I suppose anything I might say will probably fail to convince you, so you might just as well steer clear from mrw44, after all I'd rather not receive submissions from people who post such childish accusations.

Raising fears about copyright infringement is understandable, but justifying them with unfounded accusations is unacceptable.
  7. telling me to steer clear of your label seems a bit unnecessary when i've already said I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole:p

but childish doesn't start to describe the behaviour of Mr Blane/AKA "fraac"-
    if anyone's interested check this thread-

if he's unconnected with your label then my accusations are unfounded and i appologise.
    he was daring me to submit an entry and I may have jumped to conclusions.
  8. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    so, from one person's random comment on a message board, you draw the conclusion not only that he is a **** and also probably a crook, but then generalize that suspicion to include people who just are into the same type of music and also happen to live in Edinburgh?

No point arguing about David Blane anyway as I have told you he isn't part of the label. He suggested once that he might submit something for the 44 strings compilation, but will at no point have access to any of the other submissions.

Also, for those who have genuine fears about sending material for that project, I think the problem is the same whenever you send material to anyone, label, promoter, etc... it could always happen that your music gets ripped off.

One suggested solution is the self-addressed sealed and signed for package, although there are doubts about its weight in a court case for instance. But that's still better than nothing.

Another good idea is to check out what the label in question have done before, and use your common sense, and maybe take the risk to trust people... I have put out other compilations before, and have received submissions from various people... If I'd wanted to try and rip someone off, I'd probably would have done it already by now, and you'd probably be able to find out easily too from people's complaints/comments.

Sorry but that's all I can suggest for now. I'll try and make things clear in the next FAQ additions and the form which should be posted later this week-end.
  9. I could quote a lot of stuff he's posted over
    about 2 years- boasts of knowing various music collectives, both signed and unsigned, his claims that "any band that can't get a record deal just aren't very good at making music", writing off a band of mine as "guitar rubbish", too many putdowns of other forumers' intelligence to mention(suggesting some kind of insecurity).

believe me, you can't blame me for questioning anyone he's associated with.

he's probably polite in person, but a pathetic troll on the 4music forum.
  10. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    well yes, I prefer to take things on the positive side. I believe I have now explained well enough that whether you like David Blane or not he has no influence whatsoever over what I release on the label.

I also found out that his posts in the other thread on the C4 forum exactly backed up what I'd just said, and that he was presenting the label in quite a positive light rather than tarnishing the name.

So now whether you choose to trust me and send in contributions or not is up to you, but I have defended myself against the original unfounded accusations, and I think anyone with a bit of common sense should not be overly concerned about the copyright issue (and for added security, not just in this specific case, make sure to always try the sealed enveloppe thing).

If you have any additional queries, feel free to post them here or on the mrw44 message board the MTR has just linked to and I'll try to reply to them.
  11. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Well, I find the project interesting, but it lacks of information; how many other instruments can you use? Can you use them on the whole track or only partly?
  12. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    > how many other instruments can you use? Can you use them on the whole track or only partly?

there's no limit, these things are difficult to quantify so I'll leave it up to everyone to decide what they want to do.

With possibly over 100 tracks retained in the end, I'll expect quite a bit of variety between all the tracks, some of them being bass only, and others featuring more instrumentation, but the essential is that the bass shouldn't get buried behind tons of other instruments, and that a person knowing nothing about the project would still be able to pick up the fact that it's focused on the bass... as I said, very difficult to quantify.

The only clear guidelines are those:
    - no other musician should be involved (so even if you need to have additional instrumentation yourself, it remains secondary, and comes from the bassist's point of view; unlike having a separate "full-time" drummer for instance which would bring a second pole of influence).
    - no other strings should appear (so that rules out guitar, violin, cello, and many other things including piano if we are to be strict).
  13. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Can I programe a drum track on the pc? I think drums should be allowed when made with computer.
  14. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    QUOTE]I think drums should be allowed when made with computer.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but drums are allowed as drums too (if you play drums yourself and mix - overdubs are allowed); only instruments that would use extra strings are banned - unless you've got a special drumkit that has strings on it :confused:
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, now here's a question... pianos have strings, right? My digital piano doesn't...
  16. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    well, obviously if it's a digital piano. I just said "no strings" and gave some examples. There is no way I can make an exhaustive list of instruments that are or aren't allowed. But you're clever enough to work out whether your instrument has strings or not.

Next thing someone is gonna tell me: "I've removed all the strings from my violin, and I only use the frame to bang against a gong, am I still not allowed to use a violin?". And the answer is: YES YOU ARE, in that specific case.
  17. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, the digital piano uses samples from real pianos, which certainly did have strings. So indirectly, yes, it does use strings. Recordings of them.

18. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I know a piano contains strings (oodles and oodles of them) but isn't it sometimes classified as a percussion instrument since the sound is produced by the action of the percussive hammers inside - the player only touches the strings indirectly except certain special circumstances.

And isn't this missing the point anyway? As I understand it, the aim is to provide a platform for people to demonstrate what they can create with a four string bass. The only stringed instrument on a recording should be the bass and no other musicians should feature on the recording. Beyond that, it's got to stay fuzzy... for example, if I play my six string bass but don't use the B string... does that count as five? And if I'm relying on multitracking / live looping to create backing parts, it seems a bit abitrary to say that they don't count towards the string rating even though using a different bass does!

19. Claire 44

Claire 44

Jul 3, 2003
    Moley, you're right, well done for confusing me :confused:

I'm not making any difference between string and percussion instrument, it's irrelevant. If you coutn special circumstances, then someone might use a bass as a percussion instrument too, and yes in that case, the strings would count.

nope, sorry. It doesn't have to be 4 string bass, your bass could have any number of strings.

well, as I have said it is the number of PHYSICAL strings your bass has that counts. Multitracking / live looping doesn't create any strings physically.

As for not using the B string for instance, I don't know, this is the only question that is trickier. I'd say count the total number of strings your bass has, but that's because I need to give you an answer, and can think of other contexts where it'll be easier that way and wouldn't work the other way round. You might not agree with me on that one.

The other tricky question you might now ask: if it's the number of physical strings, what happens if I replace one of the strings in the middle of my recording. Arrrrrgh, please don't complicate things and just don't mention it.