1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

440Live Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassiklyAC, Feb 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hey folks,
    Came across this company (440Live) while perusing eBay. They have what appears to be a copy of the Aguilar GS112 cabinet; w/ tweeter & without.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get a stack (one with the tweeter and the extension without). For less than the price of one Aguilar it's a modest experiment. I'll consider it a success if I can get good tones on both axes; upright & electric.

I'll keep ya posted.

cultrvultr and Tom Lane like this.
  2. Picking up next week! Made to order, which is kind of cool. Proof is in the pudding though, yes?

Got two weeks of gigs to try them out before I hit the road again. An ongoing report will follow.

~Adam

3. Picked them up today. They look great. Workmanship is top-notch. Played a bit in my studio (upright & electric ) and the sound was excellent. Two gigs tomorrow to get a more realistic idea of how they perform.

Reports and photos to follow!

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Nice find on a budget. They look similar to what Avatar does with all of the different options on tolex. I wonder about the drivers at that cost, but then again I wonder about the markup on some of the higher end brands as well.

5. Yes, a great find if they achieve the sound I was imagining & hoping for. Judging from the nature of your post, I'm clearly not as technically informed as you. They listed the components in their eBay listing but it didn't sway me one way or the other.

As I've mentioned; gigs, observations, and pics to follow. If these cabs sound good in the various paces I'll be putting them through over the next couple of weeks, I'll be thrilled.

6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Adam--your playing has always slayed me, particularly the live work you did with Bill Fulton when I was still living in Los Angeles. I look forward to hearing more back from you on whether these speakers are truly gig ready. Hopefully you'll have gigs with the opportunity to play both upright and bass guitar so that you can get a good listen of their performance on both instruments.

Erik Hansen
    Scotland

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  7. Hi Erik,

Thank you for the nice message! So, along those lines, here's a preliminary report:

3/29/16 - Gig One:
    This was with a jazz quartet in a fairly intimate setting (small theater) at Cal State Channel Islands. Upright & electric were used.

Well, disappointing. I was dealing with a boomy room with a very high ceiling and a hollow stage that was being used for a school production of a musical.

I only brought the one cabinet with the tweeter. Difficulty getting the tight, focused sound I was striving/hoping for when I purchased the cabinets. This was apparent with both basses and EQ wasn't fixing the issue, nor placing the speaker up off the stage.

I'm going with the thought that I was dealing with a room that was not bass friendly for now.

3/29/16 - Gig Two
    Quintet backing a variety of singers doing a mix of French and Russian pop/folk music. Kind of a gypsy jazz vibe. Venue was Vibrato (a well know jazz club in Los Angeles). Just upright on this one.

So, mixed results. I dialed in an excellent stage sound that was representative of the very sound I thought these cabs were designed to produce. The sound guy (a very capable fellow) then asked me to change things to better accommodate his perspective from upstairs and in the back of the room. (Being very diplomatic here). The result was a thin nasally sound that I wouldn't have typically dialed in. Maybe the sound through the house PA was more desirable.

Overall initial report: INCOMPLETE

Stay tuned for a more comprehensive and realistic field test as I have a trio gig this Saturday in a very familiar venue and a contemporary jazz/fusion hit on 4/22 where both basses and both cabinets will be on board.

I'm staying optimistic.

8. Michael Drost

Michael Drost Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Looking forward to hearing a thorough review of these. Thanks for the leg work!

9. image. image. image. Okay folks, the verdict is in. These 440 Live cabinets are groove makers, booty shakers, and tone bakers!!!

I think it's safe to say I've tried just about every variation of configuration/instrumentation and, after some EQ adjustments along the way, (I was previously using an Acme B1 either alone or paired with an Eden EX112) I found the sound!

Colleagues who were very familiar with my sound commented on how much broader, rounder, warmer the tone was. The tone was all that but retained a warm focus on upright as well as electric. No boomy mud and - with the tweeter pad - I could dial in just a little grit, growl, snap, etc. to serve my needs.

As you'll see in the accompanying photos, these 1x12 cabs are modeled after the Aguilar GS112 line. I got both for less than the price of one Aguilar. That said, if the sound (and quality) wasn't there, I wouldn't have cared had I gotten them at half that. They'd be on eBay right now. However, in my opinion, these 440s are wonderful products.

I'm attaching photos of the half stack (with my $15 stand I got at Bed Bath & Beyond; high tech here, yes?), the full stack, and a "family" portrait including the latest member; a red Yamaha BB425x purchased right here on TB.com!

Hope this message finds everyone swinging, happy, and doing what they love. Heading east for some EH dates. See you on the road!
    ~Adam

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    MDrost1 and Tom Lane like this.
  10. richhansen

richhansen Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Adam, how would you compare these 440 Live Cabs to the Eden EX112 you had? I was looking to try an EX112, but from seeing your post, I'm tempted to forego that try one of these 440 Live cabs instead. I have been using 2x10" cabinets, and find that with my new Ischell mic, there is just too much midrange, and I think that if I go back to 12" speakers I will have a more balanced and even tone.
    Thanks

11. What speaker are you using in these cabs?

12. I find the 440Live cabinets to have a warmer, rounder tone than the Eden model you mentioned. The Eden EX112s don't have a tweeter so that plays into their tone and how you might use them as well.

As far as the speakers in the 440Live cabs; I don't know. They're the stock ones that came with the cabinets. I imagine you could find out by contacting the manufacturer. They're based in Riverside, CA. I believe the shop is called Greg's Audio but look it up to be sure.

Best,
    Adam