1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

45/50W bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justinien, Oct 25, 2019.

1. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    hello everyone, i've got a question for you :
    are 45/50W bass heads enough for little gigs with a drummer, a guitarist (with a 22W Fender amp) and a keyboardist (with an unknown wattage lmao) so, we're playing little gigs and i have now a Fender Rumble 200 (1×15", 200W bass combo) but I want to "upgrade" with a more vintage sound (an all tube vintage sound to be precise) like Fender Bassman or even Fender Bassbreaker 45 Head (I know it's a guitar head but hey why not?)

i just want your thoughts about it

cheers

2. If the space is small &/or quiet and the drummer can lay off a little and your cab isn't garbage, then yes. It'll have pretty limited utility unless you have a sizable or efficient cab to pair with it, though, IME.

Evil Funk, Dabndug and justinien like this.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I use a 40w Traynor head with a 2x12 and it keeps up fine with 15-30w guitar amps and is more than enough for small to medium sized stages.

4. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    well i think that I'll buy a Fender Rumble 115 or 210 (or 410 but hey I'm not thta rich lmao)
    we're playing little/medium sized gig so..

thanks for your answer tho

5. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    what's the brand of your cab? is it an Ampeg SVT-212AV?

6. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Vintage Bassmen and Showmen can be very expensive nowadays. Have you checked out the new Ampegs? If you're not set on the fender tone, these are lighter and cheaper and the V-4b is 100 watt.

7. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Promise not to make fun, but how about the VOX Mini Superbeetle bass rig for four Benjamins? It’s a 50-watt head that Premier Guitar said “surprisingly powerful” in a review a couple days ago. The dug the tone as well, plus you get a cab that might work for small gigs if miced. Yeah, it may not sound as serious as an all-tube head, but I love my NuTube combo because it’s got some tubey vibe to it, IMHO, and is a cool-looking piece of kit.

004D7FC0-C4C4-466E-B385-663622881287.jpeg

Curtbass likes this.
  8. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    yes i've already looked on Reverb, Bassman, Showman and Bandmaster are like 1300$ the problem is that I only have 900$ (i'm in Europe so it's like 750/800€)
    and yes I've checked out the Ampeg Cabs but how expensive (but awesome) they're! like 1000€ just for the head (plus 400€ for a 1×15" cab)
    it's not in my budget (sadly) but yes Ampeg was my first go to

9. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    haha they're cute well why not !

10. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    If you can live with only a preamp tube why not check out some Hartkes? Cheap, Fender tone stack, and 10 times the power. ;)

Hachimitsu Pie likes this.
  11. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    the problem is that I can't, it was in my mind but it's impossible :/

12. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    oh and i forgot to say that I've already thinked about a diy bass head (because my Jazz Bass is diy, it's Homemade :) ) but it looks more dangerous because of the electricity, the wattage or whatever

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  13. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

14. justinien

justinien

Oct 25, 2019
    ah yes Ampeg Portaflex 20/50 !

15. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    If you are going to have low wattage for the head, you need efficient cab(s) to be heard over an acoustic drum set. Ive been runnin the PF50T since it came out (2015?) with various cabs and have had great success!

Cabs ive used:
    SVT212AV
    Aguilar SL212
    Aguilar DB412
    Bergantino NV610

If you do NOT have FoH support, i wouldnt recommend anything less than a solid 210 cabinet.

scf4003 and lomo like this.
  16. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    I believe the Ampeg Portaflex PF-50T would do the job. I played small-medium sized gigs with mine and a Barefaced Two 10s, and never had any issues with volume.

A plus is that if you're at a larger gig with PA support, you can feed the post-power-tube line out to FOH and still get all that tubey goodness.

Grapevine921 likes this.
  17. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

I played many a gig with a B15S. That should be in the wattage range you are looking for.

dramatwist likes this.
  18. I would look for a used V4b & 212av. I wouldn't be comfortable with a tube rig smaller than that. Plus it's future proof.

rodl2005 and Lammchop93 like this.
  19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I've gigged an Ampeg B25 with a single 12 and have done fine. I was competing with a 40 watt Fender 212 combo, 50 watt Marshall half stack, and a loud drummer.

The key is having a sensitive and efficient cab.

20. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    scf4003 likes this.