1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

45 cal VS 357 mag for Home Defense

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Dec 28, 2011.

1. I'm trying to educate myself in preparation for purchasing a handgun. Please discuss your preference for a (primarily) home defense handgun. Potentially limited carry use..

THANKS

2. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Functionally identical. .357 may have a slightly higher chance of blinding or deafening you indoors, but it's not a significant difference. Some people prefer the generally sharper recoil impetus of a .357 over the "pushing" sensation of a .45, some are just the opposite.

Any handgun is a pretty pathetic fighting weapon, compared to a rifle or shotgun. The only advantage is concealability when out and about. In the home, not much point to my mind...

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I asked a similar question to a detective friend of mine (.40 S&W vs 9mm). He said it was irrelevant...a well placed shot is what's critical.

IMO, I'd go 357 since it's likely a revolver and therefore has point-and-shoot simplicity/reliability.

4. I agree that there's nothing wrong with a 9mm. Unless they're on PCP and have body armor, a 9mm will do the job.

5. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    A .45 is a subsonic, hard hitting round that won't travel as far as a .357. If you live in a residential area, with houses very close or if you share a wall in a town house or apartment, having a round that won't continue to burn through walls and potentially go stray may be the better round.

It really comes down to what you feel most comfortable shooting. If you have a local indoor range, many times they rent weapons so you can find what suits you.

Things to consider:
    1. Brand(some pistols are safer if you have children, some are not)
    2. How much to spend(if you are planning on shooting a lot, quality can go a long way)
    3. Caliber(there are MANY other calibers to consider that may fit your usages better)

PM me if you have other questions. I have been training and shooting for many years.

6. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    This is %100 false. At indoor ranges the spread of shot will be minimal: even with a cylinder bore 18" barrel the payload will be maybe (maybe) as big around as a golf ball. Accuracy is not optional, and it's a dangerous myth that it is.

7. Move to Honolulu.

8. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Any handgun round is not a really fight stopper. .45acp, .357, .44 magnum... none are reliable fight stoppers without proper placement. With good shot placement, any will work as well as any other.

9. Personally, I'd like a Chiappa Rhino .357 with the 2-inch barrel. As for ammunition, I'd get whatever expands the most and dumps it's kinetic energy into the target instead of penetrating it. But my home is very small. Tiny shoebox studio apartment. It would be very easy for me to hit any target in my home from anywhere else in my home. If I had a proper house, I'd probably get a 12-gauge pump shotgun for home defense, with whatever the shortest legal barrel length is in my locale.

10. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    .45 will carry through multiple sheet rock walls. Any caliber that is enough for self defense will go through both an interior and exterior wall with enough force to do injury on the other side. The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1

11. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    You are demonstrably wrong. Shotgun spread patterns (pics)

Edit: also, a "gut shot" with any caliber is not an effective means of incapacitation. Please take some time to educate yourself, and stop spreading internet myths on a very serious subject.

12. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    I chose .45. Less overpenetration. Plenty of power. Less muzzle flash. Not as perceiveably loud (a more tolerable loud, if you will). Easier recoil recovery.

.357 was my second choice. Followed very closely by .44 special. .357 only edged out the .44 because of the availability of ammo. Overall, really liked the .44.

I know you didn't ask but since it's been brought up, there are some advantages to handguns over shotguns or rifles in the home. Portability would be one. I can carry it everywhere I go. Easier to get in to use, especially close range. Concealability when I answer the door (awkward with a 12 gauge). But, yeah, firepower and lethality would go to rifle and shotgun.

Are you leaning toward revolver or pistol (semi-automatic)?

13. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    You obviously haven't done much CQC. When planning missions, the type of caliber to use to minimize casualties outside the target house and still cause traumatic injury to incapacitate the enemy during the assault, is a major factor.

14. There are seemingly too many choices. At my local range I've rented and shot
    - S&W Model 627 .357 revolver 4" barrel
    - Ruger LCR .357 revolver 2" barrel
    - Glock Model 17 9mm semi-auto
    - Sig Sauer P229 .357 semi-auto
    - S&W M&P .45ACP semi-auto
    - Ruger LCP .380 semi-auto

Still trying to get past the 'big bore' syndrome.
    Ya' know, go big or go home :)

Anyway, good Information so far. THANKS to everyone. I'll check back in a little bit.

15. It really doesn't matter which caliber as long as you are proficient with it. There is a .38 on my wife's side of the bed, a .41 magnum on mine. My .45 is in the computer room.

16. That's what got me to consider the 45 vs. the 357

17. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I lol'ed. At no point in my time as a Marine Corps infantry assaultman was this every a factor. Well, we didn't use SLAP rounds for the .50 in the city because it would reliably penetrate multiple houses, but aside from that...

Grunts get issued one type of rifle, one type of ammunition. This isn't a video game.

18. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Use whatever you're comfortable with. Caliber is far less important than your ability to accurately place shots.

19. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Regardless of what you decide to get, make sure it is comfortable and you practice a lot. Proficiency, and safety are the largest factors in any incident involving firearms, in combat or self-defense.

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    a pistol-grip Shotty!!! :hyper:

conseals beautifully strapped under a coat and there's something very humbling to a perp/intruder after hearing that round being chambered.

as for hand cannons, .357 Trooper III blue steel revolver, anytime, anyday, etc.