Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

460 watt head into 240 watt cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Sep 4, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just purchased an 8 ohm Hartke 410XL. I'm guessing it is an earlier model because it only handles 240 watts. I'm playing through it with my GK 1001RB-II, which is 460 watts at 8 ohms. I know the rule of thumb is you can double the cabinets power rating, which for this cabinet would be 480 watts. I'm playing a show tomorrow at a very large venue, and I'm wanting as little PA support as possible. Will this combo be safe to use, or should I be careful?

~Patrick

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You should always be careful. You can definitely use that amp for that cab, but try it out at home first. If you get any speaker farting, you know where to stop. I have one of the same cabs, and they can get very loud without a lot of power. But you have to remember, you are going to have the cab pointing cross teh floor, so don't turn it up so you can hear it perfectly, because you will be blaring out into the audience.

3. Good God man...why? My cabinets are really only for my reference, and to a lesser extent the drummer. And depending on the size of the venue, you may be pushing your cabinet a bit too hard for it to reach those in the middle or back of the club......as well as your eardrums! Just run a line to the board.