49 or 61 key keyboard controller?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kwesi, Sep 5, 2010.

1. 49 keys

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 61 keys

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. I can't decide :(. What does TB recommend?

2. 61 with controllable knobs, faders etc.

3. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    Depends on what you are going to play, but you can't go wrong with 61. With keys, the more the better, unless of course you don't have room to store or to move it, but in the end, it won't make that much of a difference.

4. colcifer

colcifer Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm loving my keyrig 49. If you want to play like a pianist and fiddle with knobs and dials, go bigger but for get-the-job-done-and-on-budget, a basic 49 key will do all you need. I would NOT go smaller, though.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    i have a 49 key and i so wish i'd have bought an 88 key. at the time i got it, though, i was broke and it was all i could afford. i just tried to record a track with it this past weekend, and it was extremely frustrating. so next time i get one, i'm skipping 61 and going right to the big guns.

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Rock and roll only needs tree octaves.

7. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    Every Manfacturer Has One, they are reasonably priced and do some cool stuff beyond just answering MIDI messages. If you go 49, you will be wanting 61.....and if you go 61, well ya just gotta beleive that you have a 73 in your future, and when you borrow your buddy's 88, you are like coming up with a fair offer to make him.

Save yourself the trouble amigo......go to the 88.....that way if you get the numbers backwards, youll still be OK.

Missing those keys can stifles a composer, producer or hired gun.

Best of luck to ya.

V

8. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

Here's a good question: what will you be using it for?

9. I'm getting into the whole MIDI thing and I figured I'd not only take this opportunity to make my own music but learn how to play keyboard (to some degree) as well so I've been leaning towards the 61.

10. I agree with everything here.

I bought a 25 key first because i just wanted to punch in chords and basslines on my recordings. I got sick of the limits, so I upgraded to the 49 key version of the same product, and then I got sick of the limits there--so you will most likely get sick of the limited range of the 49 so I voted 61. I think 61 will be enough, however, you can also do a ton with 88!

11. This is what I use...And I love it. 61 key, and the hypercontrol automatically maps all the faders/buttons to your DAW and plugins.

pimage_59078.jpg

12. that looks pretty

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    If you want to learn keyboard anything less than five octaves will turn out to pretty frustrating at some point in the near future. 61 minimum.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    61 at a minimum - grabs some old classical music. Centuries ago piano's were 5 - 5 1/2 octaves. It took some time to get to 88 key standard.

I will say that every sampler and VSTi seems to use key-switches to toggle variations, and it's fairly easy to reach over and hit a key over hitting a button up by the knobs. You won't go wrong with a full keyboard. Even if never plan to play the ends of the keyboard you can use them for key switches.

15. v-grooves

v-grooves

Sep 20, 2008
    Clearwater, FL
    I forgot to mention......there are a lot of times when it is convenient to split the keyboard. Assign 4 or 5 keys to a set of drum loops, have a decent phatty-Moog bass on the left end and a nice Prophet 5 analog patch on the right. People start movin and swayin, my feet start slidin, the groove takes over and I be jammin all by myself.

The dude in the corner with his 49 keys might as well go monophonic (which sometimes can be cool too).

Sumptin to think about.

V

16. +1 for the M-Audio Axiom Pro I got the 49 version it has plenty of extras to help with control - fits right into pro-tools and has drum pads.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021