1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4ms Nocto Loco Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Hola amigos, would you be surprised if I was wondering if this pedal was a disaster or a blessing in a heavy disguise?

Well, I'm not sure which is the true statement. Let me first start with the construction of the pedal.

First off, I asked if i could have the jacks on opposite sides like a traditional pedal. Dann and I went back and forth with specifications and such. To my surprise, I open my USPS box and the jacks are on the right side....:scowl:

Next, I notice a lousy paint job on the corners and scratches everywhere! Whata bust...

Well I thought that wasn't so bad...until I plugged it in. It was a little too explosive so I played with the trimpots for the gates. Took me several tries to get it just right for best tracking and such.

Finally I got to try it and it's a different beast to handle...It's pretty cool sounding but your bass is almost gone from the mix WITH that unity switch engaged. Let's just say, it's not a subtle effect! :bag:

Did i also forget to mention this thing is BEASTLY in size?

In conclusion, I need to play with it more to understand its ways but it has potential.

Soundclip:
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7480956

DSCN1827.
    DSCN1826.
    DSCN1825.

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    (my favorite part in the clip is at the end with that crazy loco mode doing the squeals...)

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Seems like they could've fit those guts into a much smaller box, no? Cool clips, nonetheless, thanks. (no more pedal gas for me, 2 boards, both smallish and manageable, 14 pedals total. I'm done)

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Sounds like its a mule.

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    That's pretty lame, I remember you posting a picture of the pedal and mentioning that it probably wasn't yours, as it didn't have said changes made to it-- When you got the picture, did you inquire about the jacks and whether or not that one was yours? Either way, that sucks, and it made my decision of buying a new painted one very easy. Any interest in trading for the Tentacle Love Superfuzz? I may or may not be into it, but I figure i'd throw it out there anyway. I have a friend that wants to build some pedals (graduating in a few months in EE) and for a 'warm up build' I was thinking about getting the kit or even just going off the schematic if possible. I'd definitely like to try and get it in a smaller box, and at very least use the same box but add level knobs for -1 and -2.

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'm not ready to get rid of it... It may stay and I might rehouse it, no biggy.

7. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Can you get a macro of those ICs?

8. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    are those decals?

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Check out the kit links from the 4ms site, they have full graphical part lists and schematics.

10. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    they don't peel off....:ninja:

11. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    You didn't need to have it in such a huge box - mine is much smaller (in fact it's the one on the Nocto page on the 4ms site).
    In regards to the paint-job, this is 4ms, they are a true diy collective, things are a little rough around the edges...literally in this case. That leads to the pedal - I had a feeling you were going to be a little surprised by it, given the stated purpose you were buying it for. It's a monster, I love mine...but the very nature of the thing is 'rough around the edges'. A unique pedal, versatile if you give it time, but not exactly tame.
    The jacks do surprise me - Dann is great in communication, a pity that was screwed up.

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    yeah i'm going to email him tonight requesting a smaller box to rehouse it in.

13. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The 4ms site lacks detailed descriptions of their effects. In the case of the NL, I gather it's basically an octave/fuzz with tremolo? From the sound clip it sounds basically like a fuzz effect. Is that how you'd describe it, or am I missing something?

14. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    The NL in "sane" mode produces a sub-octave either 1, 2 or 3 octaves down, and a "pulse" 4, 5, or 6 octaves down. So you have a sub-tone, and then when you mix in the -4, -5, or -6, it's so low that it's an LFO and sounds like tremolo. The sub-tones are really dirty, almost squarewaves.

In "loco" mode, instead of the sub-tone, something kinda weird happens, and it does sound like a very unique, gnarly fuzz. The pulse works the same as in "sane" mode.

15. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Nice description, thanks. I have the 4ms Atoner, which is a blast, and I'm looking at getting the Noise Swash, which also looks pretty loco. I'm still on the fence about the NL.

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    I'm getting a tremelune soon!!! Woohoo!

17. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet. Have you tried one yet? Again, the description on the site is less than sketchy.

18. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    no i'm winging it and bought one off the classifieds!

chronicle: the reason i ask...is becasue it doesnt look like it was painted....perhaps silkscreened? i'm interested to see how he does his paint jobs.

19. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm taking a look at that now. He's using some neat tricks like a ripple counter to divide the frequencies such that you get 1, 2 and 3 octaves down. It actually has octaves so low that they are used for an LFO/tremolo like effect since either of the first three octaves is blended with the 4th, 5th and 6th octaves below the input frequency.

20. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Hmmm, not sumping I want to invest in right now. I don't know what the clips were played though, but ohhhh, not my cup of tea (Nothing against Chronicle, ura trooper with all that you've provided)