1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4ohm 212 or 8ohm 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebert, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thebert

thebert

Mar 27, 2006
    I'm thinking about buying an Ashdown MAG 300 and pairing it up with an Avatar 212 Neo. What would the volume difference be between the 8 ohm 212 or the 4 ohm 212. The 8 ohm would recieve 150watts and the 4 ohm would recieve 300 watts. That seems like a big difference in power, how much difference in volume would that be?

2. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    theoretically, with all other things being equal, twice the power yields a 3db increase in volume. I would go with the 4 ohm cab unless you plan to add another in the future. If your amp can go down to 2 ohms, I'd get the 4 ohm cab as well (you can still ad another 4 ohm cab).

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I don't think that amp does 2 ohms, so adding another 4 ohm cabinet later won't work. Also, you may be able to detect the difference in volume but it probalby won't be a lot. Having the extra headroom of those extra 150W is probably the biggest advantage of getting the 4 ohm cabinet now. You'll be able to sustain your volume level without working the amp as hard.

What kind of conditions will you be using it in? If it's a loud rock band and/or you don't have a PA helping you out it might not be enough. But if you aren't competing with loud guitars or loud drummer it could be fine, especially if you will be going through a PA. Plus getting an 8 ohm cabient now gives you the option of adding another cabinet later. In that case not only will the second cabinet wring all the power out of the amp it will also be moving even more air. That combination should give you a more noticeable increase in volume.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the 8 ohm and 4 ohm cabinets were identical, you might be able to detect a volume difference between them...but maybe not.

Since the amp probably doesn't put out twice as much power at 4 ohms than it does at 8, you won't get a 3 dB volume increase.

I'd recommend staying with an 8 ohm cabinet...your amp will run cooler and you could always add another 8 ohm cabinet.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I run that amp through a 4 ohm 212 and i suggest you do this.

6. I have used 4 ohm and 8 ohm with my SWR 350X. This is what I noticed.

Not an appreciable difference in volume. Maybe a slight bit more punch with the 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm due to the increase in wattage from 285 to 350.

I agree, go with 8 ohm and give your amp a break. Also this allows you to add another 8 ohm cab later. I have two identical 8 ohm cabs. I can either use one or two depending on the need.

7. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Another vote for the 8ohm cab here...

Unless you need mucho volume that is....

I run my 8ohm Eden 212XLT on it's own all the time & it's fine ( Although I'm using a WT550 )..

When I need big Volume I add another 8ohm cab (210XST)..

YMMV due to brand/power differences....