Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4ohm / 2x8 ohm cab connection from SVTIII Pro to Mesa 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cetera, Mar 10, 2005.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Just a quick question, though maybe a silly one.... my mind has gone blank so help me out here....

I have an Ampeg SVT-III Pro Head and a Mesa Boogie 2x15 Diesel Cab. The cab has two 8ohm inputs (one for each speaker) and a 4ohm input for both speakers together...

My question is this:

Should I run two cables from the two outputs on the back of the head into the two 8 ohm cab inputs? Or should I run one cable out of one of the outputs on the back of the head straight into the 4ohm input? Which is better / more efficient / safer / louder? :confused:

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    bump

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you'd be fine running one cable from a 4 ohm output on the head into the 4 ohm input in the cabinet. But that's only if you need both speakers running... that's a really cool option I've never heard of anywhere, cheers to Mesa for a badass idea!

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Either way would work... I would probably run each of the back of the amp for more efficient power transfer. Assuming you are using a large diameter cable such as a 12 gauge cable on both power transfer may be affected by not having the same cable. I look at it like having two separate cabinets. If I had two cabs I would probably power them separately and not run them parallel if I had a choice.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cool, Ive seen that done with 810s (to make 2 410s) but never a 215. :)

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Thanks guys! :) :bassist: