1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4ohm / 2x8 ohm cab connection from SVTIII Pro to Mesa 2x15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cetera, Mar 10, 2005.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Just a quick question, though maybe a silly one.... my mind has gone blank so help me out here....

I have an Ampeg SVT-III Pro Head and a Mesa Boogie 2x15 Diesel Cab. The cab has two 8ohm inputs (one for each speaker) and a 4ohm input for both speakers together...

My question is this:

Should I run two cables from the two outputs on the back of the head into the two 8 ohm cab inputs? Or should I run one cable out of one of the outputs on the back of the head straight into the 4ohm input? Which is better / more efficient / safer / louder? :confused:

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    bump

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think you'd be fine running one cable from a 4 ohm output on the head into the 4 ohm input in the cabinet. But that's only if you need both speakers running... that's a really cool option I've never heard of anywhere, cheers to Mesa for a badass idea!

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Either way would work... I would probably run each of the back of the amp for more efficient power transfer. Assuming you are using a large diameter cable such as a 12 gauge cable on both power transfer may be affected by not having the same cable. I look at it like having two separate cabinets. If I had two cabs I would probably power them separately and not run them parallel if I had a choice.

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Cool, Ive seen that done with 810s (to make 2 410s) but never a 215. :)

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Thanks guys! :) :bassist: