1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4ohm Cab for Peavey Mark IV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neB317, Feb 23, 2008.

1. neB317

neB317

Jan 5, 2008
    Missoula Montana
    Hello everyone. I'm looking to buy my first half stack amp and I've run into a kind of weird problem. I've asked my parents for a Peavey Mark IV head for my birthday, but the cabinet I will have to buy myself. The Mark IV head is rated at 210 watts at 4ohms or 300 watts at 2 ohms, so I figured I would have to buy a 4 ohm cabinet for it. I can't seem to find a cabinet that is not too expensive and runs at 4 ohms. I thought that the "Behringer Ultrabass BB410 1200W 4x10 Bass Cabinet" would work, but then I read the reviews and found that some guy had fried his by using the same head. Apparently it puts out too little power for the cabinet? I would great appreciate any help I could get with this issue.

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    You could look for used gear, and likely find a used 4 ohm 410 cab, maybe a Peavey. It might take a while, depending on the used gear market around where you live. Or you could buy something new like an Avatar, which are nice sounding cabinets at a very low price, and are available in your choice of 4 or 8 ohm. I hear many good things about both the 212 and the 410 neo cabs. http://avatarspeakers.com/

Good luck to you!

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    You could run a 8 ohm cab for now. Add another 8 ohm later for 4 ohm. :)

4. I HAD that same amp, and just loved it. It sat on top my mid-80's Peavey 215D cab (4 ohm) with BlackWidows that I'm using now. It needs new baskets (about $170), and I'm contemplating getting a set of Carvin cabs.

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    I have used that head with a Peavey TVX (I think that was the model) 4 ohm 410 cab. It sounded great. These cabs pop up on eBay quite frequently for not much $$.

6. neB317

neB317

Jan 5, 2008
    Missoula Montana
    I was actually hoping to eventually get two 4 ohm cabs so I could utilize the full 300 watts. I like the look of those avatar cabs... Thanks for the help everyone.

7. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Look for some decent used Peavey cabs with multiple speakers.The majority of
    them ran at 4 ohms. My 2x15 Black Widow cab runs at 4 ohms. For awhile back in
    the 80's I ran my Mark IV with that along with a Sunn 2x15 4 ohm cab and that made
    for one solid rig pushing a very honest 300 watts at 2 ohms. I also believe that most
    of the Peavey 4x10's ran at 4 ohms as well.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I use an 8ohm 410TX with mine and believe me, it can get very loud!

I've run that head at 8, 4 and 2 ohms and it will take whatever you can dish out.

If you can't find anything used definitely give Avatar a look.

Cheers