1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4ohm cab into 2 -8ohm input head, possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by perutxo, Apr 6, 2009.

  1. Hi everyone,

    Would it be possible to run a 4ohm cab into a 4 ohm head with two 8ohm inputs?
    If so, how?
    The problem is that I have an ashdown MAG combo rated at 4ohm but the speaker that comes with it is rated at 8 ohm, leaving another speaker input at 8 ohm to reach the full wattage power. So, could I just use one single 4ohm speaker to get the full wattage? i just wanna have one single cab.
    Banana cable or something like that??:help:

  2. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why not just plug an 8 ohm extension cab into the amp, and have BOTH speakers working? If you disconnect the internal speaker, you're carrying around a GIGANTIC amp head, see. Sure, you could disconnect the internal speaker, and plug a 4 ohm cab in instead, the amp doesn't care if you use one or both speaker outs, as long as you don't go below 4 ohms. They say 8 ohms, 'cause that's what you really want to use.
  3. Thanks!

    Well, I don't wanna carry 2 cabs, so I'll use the combo enclosure, change the current 8ohm speaker for a 4ohm one, and I'm settled. Just needed to know if it could be done, and if I understood correctly, I can connect it to one of the inputs even though it says 8 ohm, right?
  4. It doesn't work that way. You can not just change the speaker for a 4Ω one unless it is identical in all the other specs to the original one. Even with the correct speaker you wont find the amp that much louder than it is now.

  5. 62bass


    Apr 3, 2005
    Even though you can do it, doesn't mean it's going to help any. First off, you need to find a 4 ohm speaker that is a match with the 8 ohm one you have now. Good luck with that. Then, assuming you find one, the slight improvement in output capability from the amp won't be noticeable. Adding an extension cabinet is the best way. Or, get a much better combo amp.

    I know this because I have done it over the many years I've been playing.

    However, you've made up your mind already, so good luck.
  6. Yes, I had made up my mind but listening to wiser people than me is always important. Therefore, I'll add a second cab.
    Thanks for making me realise about it.
  7. RickenBoogie


    Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good choice. Add an 8 ohm ext cab, and you'll be much happier with the sound and volume. Good luck.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.