Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4ohm Hartke 410xl?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KPJ, Nov 9, 2004.

1. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I have an 8 ohm Hartke 410xl. I am thinking of getting a 4 ohm 4x10 cabinet to better utilise my power amp's power. My question is if anyone is aware if a Hartke 410xl can be rewired to 4ohms? I know this depends on the resistance of the speakers and how they are wired. I have made speaker cabinets in the past, so I am not completely ignorant to ohms and speaker wiring! :)

Of course I can just take the speakers out of the cab and determine this, but if someone out there already knows, that could save me from wasting practice time! :bassist:

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've never seen a 4 ohm hartke 410, perhaps hartke only makes its drivers in 8 ohms?

If you "know" about wiring cabs as you say you do, then you know that there is no way to "rewire" an 8 ohm 410 cab to become 4 ohms. Its impossible without changing the drivers.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    My 4.5XL is 8 ohms. Every Hartke I've seen is 8.

4. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Couldn't you wire two 8 ohm speakers in parallel to make a 4 ohm load, then just wire the two 4 ohm loads (all four speakers) in series and come up with a 4 ohm load. If I can remember correctly back from my car stereo days and bridging amplifiers. If I am incorrect then :meh:

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    That's the thing. In order for a 4 speaker cab to be an 8 ohm total resistance, wouldn't the speaker options be 32,16 or 8 ohms each and then wired according to acheive the desired final cab rating. I beleive this to be the case from my past experiences and from what I have taken from Ivanmike's excellent megathread.

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i'm reasonably sure you have 8 ohm drivers. wire two sets together parallel to give two 4 ohm loads then wire the resulting loads in series puts you back at eight ohms. this is your typical series/parallel wiring for four drivers. you could wire the drivers for two ohms, but that might cause problems with your crossover which is desighned for eight ohms (not sure about that) and your mid/tweet would still be eight ohms (that probably wouldn't be a huge deal unless you run it full on. you would just have to turn it up a little)

there, however, is no way to get 4 ohms from your cab. buy another and run two if you like the sound.

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, it cannot be done without replacing all the drivers.

Each driver is 8 ohms, they are then wired in series/parallel to get a total 8 ohm load. The only other options would be 2 ohms or 32 ohms.

The good news is that in my experience while ON PAPER the higher wattage into a 4 ohm cabinet should yield more volume, in reality it's a wash. Even if the wattage doubled, the increase would only be 3 dB which while noticeable to the ear is not a huge difference. I have found that until wattage increases by a factor of at least 4 it's of little consequence.

9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks for the discussion so far. I also realize now that I do not need to concern myself with a 4ohm cab. I have two 8 ohm 15" cabs which when used along with my Hartke result in a 2.67 ohm load. As stated, the power amp, a Sunn Coliseum Slave, is rated to 2 ohms. I get a good punchy sound with this set up, the lows are strong through the 15"'s (they are EV's) and the 4x10 gives a good mid punch. The difference from 2.67 to 2 ohms probably won't be that discernable.

:meh: I guess I shouldn't over analyze things!

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks Brian! Finally...we have some valuable information based on a learned man's real-life experiences...

11. Harke make a combo with a VX410 mated to a harke 3500 head called the VX3500. Im fairly sure this is wired to 4 ohm to get the full 350 watts from the head....

That said i dont know how its wired ..

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Right you are...the VX3500's manual states that the internal speaker system is 4 ohms... Plus, there's a warning associated with the single speaker jack that an external cabinet is not to be connected to the amp if the internal speakers are used... And, the woofers are described as being "Special Design, 16 ohm, 100 watt Speakers"

The four 10s would have to be connected in parallel to render a 4 ohm load to the amp.

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    yeah dethrock, I'm pretty sure all or at least most of hartke's combos are 4 ohms. Thats how i got a 4 ohm hartke 1x15, i just pulled the 15 out of a 2115 combo.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yeah, but those are not XL speakers, which the original poster was inquiring about . . .

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Oh, I know, I was just responding to Dethrock's post.