Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4ohms + 8ohms = 2.6.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 27, 2005.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i'd like to add a Mesa 15" cab to the 1516 once i get the new amp. But i've always been told that running a 4 ohm cab and an 8ohm cab is bad. But lately i've had a couple people say it's fine, as long as the amp can handle a 2ohm load.

So, if i used a Mesa/Boogie 400+ could i run the 1516 (4ohm) cab and an 8ohm 15" cab (either Mesa or SWR) fine?
    I'd use that to gig, and just take the single 15 to band practices.

Can anyone just quickly clarify that for me? Will it work fine, just like it was running at 2ohms?

Thanks.

2. pdxmar

pdxmar

Feb 13, 2005
    That will be no problem for your amp. Be aware though that your 4ohm cabinet will be getting more power than your 8 ohm cabinet.......ie. louder.

3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I think it's probably safe for your amp if it can handle 2 Ohms, but I think the "Not A Good Idea" reasoning comes from the fact that the cab with less ohms is going to get more of the power from the amp. So if you had two 4x10 cabs equal in all respects except one is 4 Ohm and the other is 8 Ohm, the 4 Ohm one will be louder.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Are you against getting a 4 ohm 15? There are plenty of good ones out there. I mean, you can run an uneven load, but it seems like these days you have a lot of cabinet options...

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, i was looking at getting a used Mesa Diesel 15" just to go with the 1516. But what are some good 4ohm 15's? (Or even quick 18's) that would suit this cab do you think?