1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4pro and svt cl problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doomloop, Mar 18, 2013.

1. doomloop

doomloop

Mar 1, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hey all....

Two Ampeg amp questions...

Got an SVT CL...ran great...the other day I turned it on, the fan started right away while in standy by and seemed really loud and both bias lights are now on red and green continuously.

In the manual this indicates 'bad tubes or bad bias circuit'...

Is this a problem where I can just try re-adjusting the bias or replacing the tubes and re-biasing or is it better I have the bias circuit checked by a tech before re-tubing.

The other amp is an svt4 pro...runs great, I have the correct mono wiring, and am not pushing too much bottom end frequencies through an 810e...

The other day it started to cut out on me during playing, just a cut with no mute lights or changes on the amp then it would come back on.

Also when I plug in my passive jazz bass directly into the amp I get the gain light to glow red even at a low gain setting say 9 oclock at times and it seems real bright and punchy in a way that would really pop those speakers rather than a lower growl I'd want from this amp...

settings are bass@2, mid at @2 and on setting 2, treb at about 12
    eq is boosted between 220 and 450 and around 900 and 1.6, nothing major...

I do use a bunch of pedals and when those are in front of the amp I can raise the gain quite a bit before the red light comes on.

Any idea why it would cut out?

Thanks!