Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4string or 5String?? Tobias Toby Pro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Sep 8, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I currently have a Cort Curbow 6 string bass (I havent received it yet), But I was thinking of buying another bass, as a backup , and as a second tone option.
    The Tobias Toby Pro bass seems nice for its price, and has dual pickups.
    I want the bass for slapping . (Stanley Clarke sound)
    Im just a little confused about getting the 5 String or the 4 String.

Please, any owner of the Toby series please post comments about that bass too.

2. I bought my Toby 5-stringer in '95 and have always loved its playability. The string spacing is a little tighter than most but I like that aspect. I'm not sure what kind of guts the one you're considering has, but mine had a cheap Korean preamp and the Tobias pickups which do no justice to the instrument. My neckside pickup had a seriously horrible buzz that could only be silenced by grounding the strings or bridge to myself.

Anyway this is past history because as of 3 months ago I've had all new Bartolini electronics which have made a world of difference tone-wise. (now I just need a new head, cabinet, another bass would be nice... blah, blah blah ad infinitum.)

You might want to have the frets checked out by a reputable luthier or g****r tech. A few of mine were high in spots causing some buzzing at certain frets.

All in all, I'd say 3.5 out of 5 stars...

3. 5 string is definatly the way to go. Especially for slapping. It's got nice variety in tone and more versatility. If it's between those two options, it's 5 all the way.

4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a Cort Curbow 4 and a Tobias Pro 6, and have found it possible to get a lot of the same tones, though I think the Cort has a little more power to the pickup. The Cort Curbow 6 has a Bartolini pickp, I think...and if that is the case, all comparisons may end. The Toby Pro's are constructed pretty good. In my opinion, the weakest link is the pickups and electronics.

Steve

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Good! Thats what I wanted to hear.
    Hehe we have the same basses but inverted.(4->6. 6->4)
    Can you tell me your experiences with the Tobias??
    How does the B string feel??

6. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have only played these basses around the house, not in a band or live setting. I love the way the Tobias plays, but to be honest, when I first got it I didn't like the sound at all. I had to find the right EQ for my ears, and since then have grown quite fond of it. Without experience with any "high end" 5 strings, I think the Tobias Pro "B" sounds OK, much better then some other Korean 5 strings I have heard, but probably doesn't compare to most "high end" bassess. Here is where the point of "you get what you pay for comes into play"...the fine details.

Steve

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    :)
    What about the Cort Curbow??? Does It play great? Action??
    How good is the Action on Toby and Cort Curbow basses?

8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I work on and restore instruments as a hobby, so I have learned to do my own set up work and therefore, set everything up to the way I like. I get the neck as close to perfectly straight as possible with the strings as low as possible without buzzes. (I know all the arguments that this may not be the way it is supposed to be, but it works for me.) I got both the Cort Curbow and the Tobias Pro used via WWW ads. Both were OK when I got them, but I have tweaked the action, neck relief and intonation on each to fit my playing, and therefore, I have them both playing very good. I will say the Curbow design is not the most comfortable to play if you are sitting down...in fact can be (at least to me) quite awkward. Standing up, the Curbow balances much better. I find the total balance of the Tobias Pro 6 to be very good, whether played sitting or standing. The tiny body and the extended neck (27 frets) on the Curbow almost demands you to play fairly close to the bridge, where as the on the Tobias Pro I can comfortably play anywhere from the bridge to the beginning of the neck. Being neck through, the Tobias Pro has a gloss lacquer on the back side of the neck where the Cort Curbow, being bolt on, has a satin finish on the back of the neck. Some players may find this significant.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I do the same for my basses.
    I always set the neck as straight as I can, I dont like front bows. And I love LOW action.. very low. As I play progressive Metal and demand speed and accuracy.
    Would you prefeer the Toby 6 against an Ibanez SR1306?

10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Sorry, can't give you an honest judgement there...I don't know much about Ibanez instruments other then a few particular models. I have a mid 80's Roadstar 960 that is not a "great" bass, but cool, and I have a USATK4, the American made version of the ATK300. The USATK4 is a killer bass. Not 100% sure if I like the "tension free" neck with the removable headstock (yes, you read it right, removable), but all in all, it is a great instrument. I would think an Ibanez USATK5 would blow away (sonicly) the Tobias Pro 5 as I am pretty sure the USATK4 would blow away the Tobias Pro 4. The trouble is, they are not that easy to find. I don't know if the Korean made ATK300 or ATK305 are as good as the American made versions or not. But the ATK's (especially the USA made version) are totally different animals then the Tobias Pro's. As far as the Ibanez you speak of (1306), I am not familiar with the model so can't give an opinion.

Steve

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had an Ibanez ATK300. :)
    It sounded GREAT. What a sound it had. but I wanted the action LOWER.
    Iknow the USATK was a lot better.
    Wanna sell it?

And, In what things do you think the USATK would blow away a Toby Pro?

I have to tell you that the ATK305 had a VERY Sloppy B string.

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    "And, In what things do you think the USATK would blow away a Toby Pro?"

much better electronics