Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4th guitarist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Dec 16, 2000.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    my band and i are setup thusly:
    bass player-me
    lead
    rhythm/lead
    piano/keyboards
    drums
    & a 4th guitarist(to check out the kind of music we play look at my profile)
    the lead obviously plays awesome solos, i play bass solos, the rhythm/lead plays riffs, solos & plays alongside/understudy of the lead. But iw as wondering what would the fourth guitarist who is also the insger what kind of things would he play?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He would play a pedal steel thingie.

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    My guess is that he would be straight out rhythm. With you're set up I would want to layer the guitars like this: one solid rhythm, one would play a riff over the rhythm, and the third should either play a different riff or copy the bass line, much like the Gin Blossoms if you're familiar with their sound at all. But if you guys aren't doing that then he would just play the rhythm when the others were playing solos at the same time. My guess is that a majority of your songs wouldn't require that many guitars so just have him sing but let him play guitar occasionally just so his feelings don't get hurt.

4. 4 guitar player? what do you guys do covers of Blue Oyster Cult and the Outlaws? if not maybe he could play Gopher of Bartender.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    On second thought, if the fourth guitarist is the lead singer, he can play anything he wants. Just don't plug in his guitar. Why in the heck do you need 4 guitars?

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Radiohead has that setup:
    Thom: Vocals/acoustic guitar
    Jonny:Lead Guitar/keyboards
    Ed:rhythm guitar/2nd vocals
    Colin:Bass
    Phil:Drums

as you see, the fourth guitar could be an acoustic one, so the rhythm guitars are two: one electric and one acoustic.

It sounds like useless, but it sounds really great
    Check The Bends album from Radiohead (and OK Computer) and the sound is amazing.