Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4th of July........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by By-Tor, Jul 5, 2003.

1. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Anybody have any intresting 4th of July stories to tell?

I was lucky enough to get to work tonight so I missed on everything.

Any unsafe practices of fireworks or anything of the sort?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmm...I ate a lot then fell asleep. woke up, ate some more then fell asleep again.

yup yup yup.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    What! No explosives.
    What kind of 4th of July is that, you have to have explosives.

Just kidding, hope you had a good time.

4. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I spent my 4th of July night on duty with my Police Explorers post. I volunteered from 5-11, and we did traffic direction and walkaround security in the park where the concert and fireworks were done. A pretty large crowd came, around 12,000 people, and the end traffic when everyone was rushing to leave was hell.

But, I did have fun, despite the fact that I nearly got run down and also flipped off by an old woman. We also got to use radios, so that was a plus in cutting down on confusion.

Some funny things that happened: While patrolling around the park, a man came up to me and said that the "concert was too loud", and another guy comes up and says "wooohooo, Im not drunk!", and then proceeds to almost fall over.

Fun night.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i went to our campus, near where they do the fireworks. It was real close to the show. The firing area was only about 100 or so yards away. We were laying on the front lawn of some frat house. The show was awesome, but traffic was horrible. One part that was annoying, though. Dust and debris from the foreworks kept coming down. They used some low flight pieces to finish the show, which at the end sent a few smoldering particles at us. That was kinda wierd. and also, about 100 feet away from where i was, a secondary shell popped on a driveway near a few people. Shook them up, but didn't hit or hurt them. Pretty scary. Had a few parts of casings come down, but nothing serious.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Solidus, sorry you had to work, and get flipped off by an old lady.

tmo33 - that's hilarious.
    "They used some low flight pieces to finish the show, which at the end sent a few smoldering particles at us. That was kinda wierd. and also, about 100 feet away from where i was, a secondary shell popped on a driveway near a few people. Shook them up, but didn't hit or hurt them. Pretty scary. Had a few parts of casings come down, but nothing serious."

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

didnt do anything illegal.

just hung out with my gf at Rob F. Wagner Park in Battery City takin' in the sun, and some semolina bread w/ jam.

then headed over to "The Lawn" in Battery Park, where Ryan Adams was doing his free concert. afterwards, chilled in the glass enclosed, palm tree laden Winter Garden, headed back to my place to rest, then trucked over to the east side to watch the fireworks.

overall, a very fun, not to mention, sweltering day! :D

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Gig, rain and fireworks.

Same as every year. You'd think I could get ONE July 4th off..... :D

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Lots of fireworks. Some beer. Long story; tell you later.

10. my block was like freaking ww3, before i started partying someone set off a bomb or something because my whole room shook and my window cracked big time. i mean i have 25 of the most dangerous fireworks(m100's/roman candles/beer can bombs) and this **** blew it all away i think i have radiation poisiong hehe. well anyways i started downing margs and lighting cheap firecrackers at friends, the we started the read ****, 2 m100's at once will set off a whole street worth of car alarms. hehe now its about 1 and it took me a fairly long time to write this drunk. peace

11. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Excellent!

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, no fireworks other than the show i took my family to on the night of the third. yesterday was food, folks, and fun. i introduced some friends to some awesome southern style barbecue. i smoked an entire pig for about 15 hours (i started it on thursday night :D ), made some hash, rice pudding, pork rinds, pulled pork, cole slaw, hush puppies...heck, i even made the sauce myself....and of course, there were some beer brats for the squeamish. never ask anyone what hash is made from, it just turns everyone off to it. :D

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Went to work. 4 Jul 03 = second swing shift. I think Christmas is a day watch. Sigh...

:( ;)

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Worked in the ER. Busy with the usual. Nobody died. It was a good night.

Mike

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Saw $4000 worth of fireworks in less than two hours. My brother in law's boss bought $4000 worth of fireworks, and we set them off at his (brother in law) house. Only thing that came close was the city's show a few miles away.

In the penis waving contest of fireworks, we etablished air superiority, and many a boom was to be had.

Other than that, nothing.

16. i hung around with my brother, played frisbee, and blew up Bic lighters. good times.:cool:

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Our house is right over a lake where they do fireworks every year...so we basically get a front row seat every year, it's neat.

18. I didn't do anything...stayed up the night before,went to bed around 11am and woke up at 8pm...just got on the internet...ate some left overs,stayed up until like 6am and went to bed...

I need to get out of the house...

-Jon:oops:

19. Whoa, what a difference to over here - the only recognition of the date was at a friends' work - a drunk guy wandered in and sung the US national anthem.

*I* spent the day playing Halo (x-box), drinking, listening to metal music, and visiting Asda-walmart at 5am (it's the nearest 24-hour store, and we all just love visiting it at stupid times.... it was my turn this time).

Soooo I'm unemployed........ :p

20. I worked in the morning, "found" 10 cold beers in my freinds fridge;) , went to a cookout with my girlfriend, went to fireworks with her on the beach, went to dinner and had a happy ending.;) :D