4x what your guitarist has

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spyde223, Jun 16, 2001.

1. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    i keep on hearing and reading you 3 or 4x the wattage your guitarist has. what if the guitarist has a tube amp which is said to be 3x louder than solid state. does this mean you need 12x what he has? sorry for the stupid question, just got an idea and thought i'd see what ya'll would say.
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    But if you have 1/10th of what the soundman has be prepared for complaints.
  3. Lower wattage amps over drive at a lower sound level then do higher wattage amps. Take a 200 watt amp, for example. That would have to be loud enough to bust everyone's ear drums and then some to distort, so rock guitarists like amps with a lower wattage. But the exact wattage depends on how much sound you want.

At least thats how I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. No.

The guitarist' amp will produce a specific amount of SPL depending on his wattage and his speaker(s). 4x more power for the bass is just a rule of thumb. How much power is actually required is the difference (in dB) between the guitar amp and the bass amp.

Example: you have a guitar player with a 30 watt amp (2 6L6 power tubes). He is driving a single JBL E-130 rated at 105 SPL. You have a bass cabinet that is rated at 95 SPL, to make up the 10 dB difference, you will need a 300 watt amplifier.