4x10+15 in one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Has anyone played through a 4x10+15 in one cab? Like the Ampeg SVT-1540HE or Mesa Powerhouse 1000? How do they compare to the sound of two separate cabs? The 10's in the Mesa are surrounding the 15, whereas the 15 is under the 10's in the Ampeg. I'd think the Ampeg would sound similar to a normal 4x10/15 stack. Correct? Thanks.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoa. Talk about a back ache! Got a pic of that Powerhouse 1000 for us to gander at?
  3. Here are the Mesa and Ampeg cabs. The pic of the Mesa isn't very good. But you can see the 10s in the corners, with the 15 in the center. Now...how do these sound?

The Ampeg looks rather unwieldy. It's got to be as big as or bigger than an 8x10. The Mesa looks more compact, maybe 6x10 size.
  4. Cool. The 1540HE is 12 pounds lighter and the same size as a 810E. One big speaker weighs less than 4 smaller ones. All in the magnets baby.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I personally would never play something like that, for several reasons:

1. It's too damn big and heavy.
    2. I think you could optimize the cabs for the respective drivers better by placing them in different cabs. (Not that using separate cabs guarantees good cab design....)
    3. Did I mention it was too damn big and heavy?

But one man's meat is another man's poison. Really doesn't matter what we think. Try it out; it might be just your thing.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Mesa sounds great but it's too much cab for all but the largest clubs and then you don't need it if you have PA reinforcement. I just can't see owning one, otherwise, believe me, I'd have one. They do sound fat and strong.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've used the Ampeg cabinet, it sounds great. You can run it full range or biamped. A weird feature is that in full range mode it's an 8 ohm cabinet, so you can drive twice as many of these as you can Ampeg 8-10 boxes (which are 4 ohm). When biamped, each half of the cabinet is 4 ohms.

The two halves of the cabinet are sealed off from each other, I suspect the 10" drivers are sealed off in pairs like in the 8-10 cab. As mentioned above it is the same size as the Ampeg 810 but LIGHTER.

Sounds like your typical Ampeg 810 but with a bit more bottom end and more highs if you choose to dial up the tweeter.
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I think this was made with the SVT400T in mind. This amp will biamp, and each power amp runs a minimum 4 ohm load, but it bridges at 8 ohms.
  9. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    4x10+15= ow my back! :bawl: sure would sound great tho...
  10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Waaaa, Waaaa, Waaa....
  11. Trace Elliot also did a cab like this - 4 x 10 with a 1 x 15. It also had two HF horns up top with the 10s. The thinking was that is was psecifically designed for the AH1000-12, their 1000watt flagship head. Using this amp, the cab could be run mono, bi-amped and tri-amped! This last option was achieved by running signal separately into each of 2 of the 2 x 10s and 1 horn up top - effectively giving you a stero split, and still pumping up to 500 watts into the 15" at the bottom.

The cab weighed in at about 87kgs........

12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and then trace calls it a BFC...that's pretty funny....BFC, indeed

13. Yup, Big Furry Cabinet! Gotta love those Trace guys!:D

Although, I doubt the word was Furry;)
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The guys at Low Down Sound near Detroit, MI, build a 1x15/4x8 that weighs in at a fairly svelt 84 lbs. You may want to check it out under "custom cabs" at www.lowdownsound.com. They show a list price of $599.99.

I think the one in the picture is sold, but they are always building more cabs. I have had a chance to check out their cabs, and they do sound nice!

15. i like how the photo of the amp head has every single frequency boosted, even the "scooped" mids. the lowest and highest are dimed. numbskulls.

16. Well, this is a family forum (ie there are kiddies about) so I was going to leave it at furry with the winking smilie.......:)

Chances are the EQ was set up by a photographer (and not a bassist) to look like a smile - maybe if he'd zero'd it properly he wouldn't have been such a numbskull......

EDIT: moderator