4x10 + 1x15 OR 4x10 + 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smithy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. smithy

Oct 3, 2004
    I am currently on a quest for more bottom end.

Would I get more bottom end from a 4x10 + 1x15, or should i aim for a 4x10 + 4x10?

I have a small car, so an 8x10 is out of the question.

I am playing a Hartke 350 watt head, and my band plays hard rock I'm thinking about hunting down some AVATARs, as I hear they are quite the bomb. I don't know what the availablility is like in Australia though.

I can't get to a music store with all the required cabinets for a while, so any opinons are welcome. Be assured, I will try for myself before I buy though!
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    2 410s will give you more bottom end usually than a 410 and a 115. However, it does depend on which cabs you get, but with 2 410s, that much surface area it should give tons of bottom.
  3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Make and model REALLY make a difference here, but I don't think I could be unhappy with 2 Q10BX-D's in a million years!
  4. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    1x15 pushes more air. go for 1x15 to contrast the 4x10 and to make the audience lose control of their bowels ;)
  5. smithy

Oct 3, 2004

Can't get Avatars in Australia. Bummer.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Actually, a 1x15 moves LESS air than a 4x10, when you calculate actual speaker cone area. You will get more volume AND more lows with two 4x10s, if they are 'quality' 4x10's . . .
  7. I use a hartke 3500 head with a hartke 4x10XL cab and a hartke 1x15XL cab.

the 410s are mighty powerful and have a good low end but as soon as u hook up the 115 u get a nice low end adddage because the 115 can pick up lower frequencies
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as already stated, it all depends upon the particular cabs.

one 15 will move more air than two tens, but four tens will move more air than a 15. fifteens will generally have more low end than tens, but driver design and cabinet design can negate this entirely,

the voicing of fifteens and tens in the midrange can vary considerably, IME, tens tend to have a "smoother midrange" where fifteens can get "barky".

all this from a guy who prefers to use a 15 and a 12, in small boxes. i prefer the IMO superior sweetness of midrange tone of this setup to the "Earth shaking lows" of other setups. ;)
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I generally find that 15"s gives more richness to the tone. Also easier to cart around :)
  10. I'm having the same dillema, the problem is I can't try the 1x15 cab before I buy it, I don't want to buy it and then find it's too boomy for my tastes, but I don't want to buy another 4x10 and find at high volumes it can't take the B...

Ah screw it I'm gettin another 4x10. I've always wanted an 8x10 :D