1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

4x10 & 1x15 or 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MR.ATK, Dec 8, 2006.

1. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    so yess the title pretty much somes it up... i'm running a trace elliot 1048 4x10 cab and a ah500-12 head... now the cab is 8ohms head is 4ohms.. so i know i need another cab.. so my question for people who have expierence what sounds better two 4x10 cabs? or a 4x10 and 1x15? i'm debating which i should get.. i like lowww lows...but clean cut throughness as well... any advice please help!! i'm a newb :bag:

2. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    2x12 maybe? Go test some cabs out and see what you like

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with another 4x10. When you have that many 10's you have enough lows.

4. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    chaos.. do you run your 4x10 and 2x12 together?

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I do. It's a cool setup and gets the job done, but I'd be happier with another 4x10. The Mesa 4x10's are sick.

6. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    i orig, wanted the eden xlt 4x10 :p that thing pounds, but once i played through this old school 1048h.. oooooo man the trace deeps come through.. just weighs a ton!!

7. I tend to not like 10"s. I go with 12"s but then I usually only use one cab. Pair some 10"s with a 15" or maybe an 18" and you'll get the full range.

Happy hunting.

Cheer

8. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    thanks lord! ;)

9. I use 10s and 15s and it works well

However, for a rock band, an 810 just sits perfectly in the mix IMHO

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Which 8x10? The classic Ampeg 8x10 is a sealed box, which gives a very different sound than the typical modern cabinet which is ported and has a tweeter. I love the sound of a sealed box, but some prefer ports and tweeters.

Oh: the typical 8x10 will tilt and roll fairly easily, but I hope you never need to haul it up a flight of stairs. And it might frighten management, bandmates, and audience alike at a quiet coffeehouse gig. :p The advantage to stacking 2 cabs is that you can bring just one to small gigs.

11. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    well i already have a trace elliot 4x10 cab no tweeter but a rectangular port seperating top and bottom of the subs

12. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    i have a swr goliath III 410 and a swr sob 115........and am running a gk 1001rb head..... I have to say it is one of the best sounding set up's that i have ran yet.... I also have the swr goliath jr 3.... and i much perfer the 410 115 setup better then the 210 410 setup......bet heck if i had my way i would have 2 410. one on eather side of my 210 115...(wishfull thinking....hehe)well best of luck in your surch.Cheer's Mate!!!

13. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    I used a Tace Elliot 2x10 and and 1x15 and that suprsingly kicks the tail off most of my friends rigs...then again my amp also rocks. It takes all the lows and gets a ncie punchy mid, and since the 2x10 has a attenuator my highs are never overwhelming.

14. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I don't think you necessarily "need" another cab. The head should be fine running an 8ohm load. It is running too small a load that is the big concern.

I know alot of folks here have monster rigs and whatnot, but I've found that, depending on the venue, you may not need that much amp. I have 410s and a 15, and honestly, most placed I've played have a decent PA, run a direct from the head anyway, at which point the cab is really just your monitor. OTOH, house parties, bars with lousy PAs, etc all necessitate more amp.

If you add a cab, I'd go for more 10s. They are plenty bassy when you have a bunch of them. Maybe just 2x10s. That would give you some real flexibility (you could bring 2,4, or 6 10s depending on the venue).

15. MR.ATK

MR.ATK

Jan 6, 2006
    did trace make any older 2x10 cabs? without being in a co,bo formaT? i'd like to stay all trace gear... for now.. but i was looking at eden too

16. Trace made a few 2x10 cabs, dont have a clue about model numbers etc, i just know they exist :)

17. jshellac

jshellac

Dec 10, 2006
    have you tried an ampeg 412? they're awesome

18. i just traded my ampeg svt810e towards an ampeg svt410hlf and svt115e and i blows away what i was running through the 810. but then again, i'm using a genz benz gbe1200 and it takes the load down to 2.67, and therefore, more power. i'm done buying cabs for quite a while... i hope

19. marcinski

marcinski

Jun 21, 2006
    chicago, ill
    I had same question about 6 months ago and I went for another 4x10 now I run two 4x10 trace's with horns nad they are LOUD and have lots of bottom no need for 1x15
    I'm really happy with them.