4x10>add another 4x10 or 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Macbeth56, Dec 4, 2003.

1. now, i have my ampeg head.. my ampeg 4x10 8-ohm cabinet....
    I love the 4x10s.. and my 15 i use to have (peavey) sounded good when i had it all together.

But there is always hype about 4x10s.. but there is NOWHERE here to try out the two. What do you think I should do?
    Get another 4x10, so i would have 2 seperate 4x10 cabs.. or add the 15?
  2. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    what kind of music do you play? what kind of tone do you have?
  3. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What do you need?

Do you need more volume?

Do you need more lows? or more mids?
  4. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Honestly, it all depends on what you want, and even then, it all depends on the cabinets you are thinking of getting...

There are 15" cabs that will out punch some 4x10 cabs... some 4x10" cabs will seem deeper and lower than some 15" cabs, etc, etc...

You gotta play thru them to find out, and when you play thru them, listen to them, ignore what size of speakers are behind the grill and just buy what seems to suit your needs.

Either way, if you can't play thru the cabs, I can't really help.. I do know a dude who plays a Mesa M2000 thru an ampeg 4x10 + ampeg 1x15 and it sounds super, but I'm sure it would sound super thru 2ea 4x10's too.

That's just my opinion tho.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you're looking for a middle ground, I'd suggest a 212. They have the punch of 10s, with the lows of 15s, and without getting muddy. :bassist:
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    That is exactly my point (no offence to The Ox)..

not all 15's are low, not all 15's are muddy and not all 10's are "punchy".. therefore, I can only assume that not all 12's would be as you describe them.

Now, in general this may be correct, but I still think alot of these "general characteristics" are also alot of hype.

The cabinet has a HUGE amount of effect on the way the speaker reacts/responds and sounds yet nobody ever mentions that, people just think 15's are low and muddy and 10's are punchy..

I dunno.. :meh:
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    These guys are correct. Example: I play Aguilar cabs, two 4x10's and one 1x15, all matching. I get more lows from using two 4x10's than I do with one 4x10 and one 1x15. Tight lows, incredible. Perfect for stage volume and medium sized venues.

If I need to throw more bass FARTHER into the room, then the 1x15 helps because it throws bass farther, but it doesn't sound as low or as punchy onstage.

It really depends on the brand and model of speaker.
  8. Kind of on a tangent here, but does anyone ever stack their 15 on top of the 4x10? I always see the 15 on the bottom .....

9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Clearly this demonstrates how a 4x10 COMPLETELY DOMINATES the 1x15. :eek:

J/K - I'm a 2 4x10 cab kinda guy, but I've heard a lot of folks sound great with a 15 on bottom, too.