Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

4x10 advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumb6, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Thumb6

Thumb6

Jan 13, 2006
    After 12 years and probably 1000 shows with my trusty Eden rig i am thinking of downsizing. I have been running a 15 and a 2x10 cabinet. But now that music is more of a hobby, the venues are smaller. (probably around 200 people venues.) I always run through the PA, so the rig is just for monitoring onstage.

I would like to just use one cabinet, maybe a 410, maybe an accugroove. my concern is that with the cabinet being so short and facing out is it difficult to hear? It seems like it will only be pointing at my knees and with guitar player using slant cabinets, it could be hard to hear?

Any advice?

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    What's wrong w/ the Eden 410's? Just time for a change?
    The XLT's now come in 8 and 4 ohm, the XST's are still 8.

3. Thumb6

Thumb6

Jan 13, 2006
    Nothing is wrong with the eden 410, they are still in the running. But my real concern is the lack of size compared to my stack. Not that i crave a huge stage rig, but because the cabinets were closer to my ear, I could keep stage volume down.

I guess what i am looking for is some opinions from the 410 users out there if this is a issue. especially on a narrow stage.

4. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC
    I used a 410 for a long time, and sometimes still do, and it has never been an issue for me, especially with decent monitor of the PA signal.

5. Given the size of your venues and the fact that you always have PA support, I think a 410 is an awfully big monitor to be hauling around. Perhaps I just play too quietly, but I would use your 210 vertically and angled back on some sort of an amp stand. That wouldn't give you the floor coupling, but I'm not always a big fan of that. I think the 210XLT makes a great montior and the 210XST even better. For the past couple years I have been using a 200W Ashdown Mag 115 combo in similar size venues, often with FOH support, and I seldom am lacking. I want more, but I don't need more. In fact if all I wanted was a monitor I'd probably sell the rest and buy an EA Wizzy. 29 pounds is very easy to carry.