1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

4x10 Advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowest End, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    I'm in the market for a new setup. My trusty Nemesis 2x10 combo, while sounding awesome, simply doesn't have the power I need at times (it's the older 200 watt version). I'm not selling it, I'll use it for smaller gigs, but I need a "big" system as well.

My eventual plan is to put an Eden WP-100 preamp (but first likely a Sansamp RPM for budget reasons) in front of a power amp of some sort (I'm thinking Crown, Carvin or something else that's powerful but reasonably noise-free) and a 4x10 cab. I've tried several cabs so far - an Eden XLT, SWR Goliath III, Hartke Hydrive and Trace Elliot (don't know series). I'm completely in love with the Eden, but before I commit to anything I still want to try more out. Also, I'd really like to hear opinions on the Bergantino cabs and how they compare to these I've listed.

For background, I play rock and metal. The Nemesis will still be used for the rock band I play with, but I may be joining another more metal band and simply need more power. I play a Warwick Corvette STD 5-string mainly (2007 model) and really like that low-mid growl I get with the Eden cab.

I've read a lot of threads about each cab individually (which is great), but not how they compare to each other. So can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance!

2. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well I will have to Give my Vote to SWR!!...I have and run both the Goliath III and IV 410 cabs...and I love Them!!! They are not muddy or or tinny!!...Very very Punchy clear lowend and and Beautiful Highs!! But hey thats what i like other like other things!!! But my Vote Goes For SWR!!! Best of luck Mate!!!

3. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Eden would be cool. I quite like the Gallien-Krueger RBH. I use a Laney NX410. Quite good. Personally I definitely dislike Hartke. I've used a few and they have been muddy as hell, even after pissing about with EQ and the likes.

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Take a look and listen to the SWR 6x10! I have a Goliath and a Goliath Sr and love them both.

5. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Thanks for the feedback!

After playing through a bunch this weekend, I've crossed SWR off the list. I tried two Goliath III's, a Goliath II and a Goliath Sr. 6x10. All with the same amp that I tried with the Eden XLT. The SWR cabs were great, no doubt, but I just liked the Eden better.

I'm hoping to try some Bergantino cabs this weekend or next week and then I guess I'll make my final decision, but right now I'm leaning way over towards the Eden cab. It just had the real nice midrange I like and a little more bass than any of the others.

6. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    I've used the SWR 4x10 live, and while it does sound good if your 3 feet away from it, by the time your 20 feet away, you lose everything but the clank(I play pick style).
    The HyDrive is a good sounding cab with quite a big bottom, but doesn't get that loud. For a metal band its not gonna give enough lows at high volume.

7. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    I didn't see Aguilar on your list...might be worth a try if you can get a hold of one.

8. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10's!!!! Theyre heavy and lots of low end

9. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    My Warwicks love my Genz Benz cabs.

10. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    that aggie 410 is (to me) the best sounding 410 out!
    from top to bottom no matter what kind of jams youre playing through it, it just smokes!

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I love my Epifani NYC 4x10. LOVE IT.

12. MarcusPocus

MarcusPocus

Aug 28, 2008
    Allen, Tx
    11 posts, 11 different answers. I think your on the right track. Try as many as you can an get what YOU like. What ever 410 you get...... Get two. Eight tens are even better.:smug:

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    AMEN!!!! I totally agree!!! You got to have 2...I do and Man I would not have it any other way!!!... There i just something Standing infront of 810's and feeling the bass and KNocking the drummer off his seat that you just cant get anyother way!!! It is Soo Awesome!!!:hyper::D;)